Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's on stock spare tire carrie?

Old 12-26-2014, 08:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would not recommend it, if you are waiting on an aftermarket carrier leave the spare at home and carry a plug kit and portable air compressor.
Old 12-26-2014, 08:32 AM
Former Vendor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I would not recommend it, if you are waiting on an aftermarket carrier leave the spare at home and carry a plug kit and portable air compressor.
x2

I ran a 35 off the back of mine for a short time, tailgate began to de-laminate and make wretched noises when hitting the smallest of bumps in the road. Definitely worth the investment of an aftermarket carrier... I personally run the TeraFlex hinge w/ adjustable mount w/ 37" Mud Grappler, solid as a rock... (92lbs of rubber)
Old 12-26-2014, 06:37 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I can tell you that my toyo 35x12.5/17 did not fit with stock bumper. My 285/75-17 which are 34's fit but my 35'sdid not. I already had the TF hinge and had to add the TF carrier it is solid as a rock.
Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Witnessed

After seeing a buddies 15' sahara end up with a nice visible crease on the tailgate from a 35" Kenda Kleaver mounted on a 17" stock rim after barely a month of carrying it, I wouldn't recommend it. Although he wheeled with it quite a bit in that month.
Old 01-28-2016, 07:51 PM
JK Newbie

Question

Will the stock tire mount still work with the Teraflex hinge, or do you have to also buy their adjustable tire mount?

That hinge looks awesome - just the hinge is $479, not horrible, But if you have to buy their tire carrier too now it's up to like 700 to make it all work... ?

Edit- found the install info on their website, looks like the stock tire mount will work with the hinge. So my plan is to just get the hinge and still use my stock mount w/ the extension I already have. Any advice, is this a bad idea? (I gotta do something, just noticed today that one of the pinch welds is starting to let go.)

Thanks!

Last edited by scammper; 01-28-2016 at 07:57 PM.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by scammper
Will the stock tire mount still work with the Teraflex hinge, or do you have to also buy their adjustable tire mount?

That hinge looks awesome - just the hinge is $479, not horrible, But if you have to buy their tire carrier too now it's up to like 700 to make it all work... ?

Edit- found the install info on their website, looks like the stock tire mount will work with the hinge. So my plan is to just get the hinge and still use my stock mount w/ the extension I already have. Any advice, is this a bad idea? (I gotta do something, just noticed today that one of the pinch welds is starting to let go.)

Thanks!
yes the stock carrier works with just the hinge. depending on what tire and rim backspacing you have you will either need to trim the stock bumps or add some kind of spacer to lengthen them out, so your tire presses firmly against them.(only one tho as the one nearest the hinge is no longer usable.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:32 AM
JK Freak

You don't have to, but the adjustable carrier allows you to suck the spare up tight against the tailgate, and raise it up out of the way. I know it's really not that much cheaper than a swing away carrier, but it does add some beef to the gate without all the weight of a full carrier.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

mine rattles have the 35 on there with quite a few wheeling trips. no welds are broke yet, it does rattle a bit though because the factory rubber bumps don't mesh up with the tire. it barely fits as well, can't even stick my finger between the factory rear bumper and tire. 35x12.50r17 fierce attitude mt
Old 01-29-2016, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine rattled slightly after putting a 35" KO2 on there. I had run a 33" Nitto back there for 4 years with no problem. A dude rear ended me and smashed the stock carrier. The collision place said they didn't have to replace it with the OEM carrier. I got the (cheap, but better) Smittybilt oversized carrier. It's supposed to be able to hold 190 lbs. Still some slight rattle, as it's still on the stock hinges. About 2 weeks ago, I took the covers off the hinges, cleaned them, tightened them, and lubricated them. So far, it's silent. I've never had any welds pop. I think before I spent what Terra Flex wants for their carrier, I'd get a tramp stamp and throw the spare in the back for wheeling trips.
Old 01-29-2016, 07:35 PM
JK Newbie

I wouldn't trust it for anything over a stock tire size. I recently upgraded mine to a JCR Shield tire carrier setup for my JCR bumper and I couldn't believe how flimsy the tire carrier and mounting substructure within the tailgate is. The TeraFlex mount is a very solid unit and it is a worthwhile investment. Stick the spare in the tailgate area or in the garage until you need it for a trip and spare your tailgate the agony.

RockZJ

Quick Reply: 35's on stock spare tire carrie?