Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's / Stock rear bumper

Old 08-27-2008, 06:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's / Stock rear bumper

Will a 35 / 12.5 inch tire (BFG, KM2) fit on the tail gate with a stock bumper?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I think this is going to vary based on the rim it is mounted on.

With my 17" Gatlin rims and 35" BFG KM2s, I have a little bit of the bottom edge of the tire that sits nicely on the stock bumper tire lip...enough that it is providing at least some weight relief of the tire. The rear brake light is even still visable...not as much as it probably "should" be, but enough that I doubt I could be ticketed for.

I am not sure I would feel comfortable running with it as such for the next couple of years...but enough that I can take my time and decide exactly what direction I want to take for rear bumper/tire carrier.

Others have noted that their tire will not even touch the lip of the stock bumper at all...leaving all of the weight on the stock tire carrier...so your mileage may vary on this depending on what rims you run with.
Old 08-27-2008, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am going to be using my stock Rubicon wheels. So would a one inch spacer be enough to make it work?
Old 08-29-2008, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Old 08-29-2008, 10:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

i ran stock rims and 35s but had to cut out the dip in the stock bumper for it to fit. Worked at real well, since i had inadvertainly created a neat stow area for dirty tow ropes in the hollow of the plastic bumper and the tire hides the gole real well. just an idea
Old 08-29-2008, 11:43 AM
JK Freak

I used this for 6 months with my stock 17" rim and a 35x12.5 tire. Got the idea from the Project JK site. Picture of Jeep has a 37" tire on it....

Click image for larger version

Name:	E1JKtirecarrier1.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	12344

Click image for larger version

Name:	E1JKtirecarrier5inaction.jpg
Views:	714
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	12345
Old 08-29-2008, 04:43 PM
JK Super Freak

Wouldnt a 37" spare be way to much weight for the factory tailgate/hinges?

I have a 37" spare tire and rim and need to mount it. I ordered the Rugged Ridge Modular rear bumper w/ tire carrier however it wont be available til mid October according to OMIX.

Just looking for an expensive way to carry my spare until the other bumper arrives
Old 08-29-2008, 05:15 PM
JK Freak

Wouldnt a 37" spare be way to much weight for the factory tailgate/hinges?

I have a 37" spare tire and rim and need to mount it. I ordered the Rugged Ridge Modular rear bumper w/ tire carrier however it wont be available til mid October according to OMIX.

Just looking for an expensive way to carry my spare until the other bumper arrives
Well, the Jeep in the pic above has a 37" tire on it. Me personally, I wouldn't mount it on the factory carrier. I think it is too heavy and you are asking for trouble, especially with a spacer pushing the wieght out more from the tailgate. With that said, if you keep it on the street, and don't bounce it around a lot, as well as be very careful when you're opening/closing the tailgate, then you might get away with it until your carrier you ordered shows up.
Old 10-04-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Default 35" tire on tailgate

I am getting 35" BFG A/Ts mounted on Moto Metal Rims with 4.5 Backspacing. I know it will fit but I was just wondering if the weight would be too much? I don't want to bend my tailgate or anything.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:08 PM
JK Freak

I am getting 35" BFG A/Ts mounted on Moto Metal Rims with 4.5 Backspacing. I know it will fit but I was just wondering if the weight would be too much? I don't want to bend my tailgate or anything.
Got your PM. I am running Moto Metal rims right now. The rim is pretty heavy, but the tire, HOLY S**T! I run Toyo Open Country M/T's, and those things are damn heavy. But I have been running it on the tailgate for 8 months now with no issues.

Quick Reply: 35's / Stock rear bumper