Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's on stock 17" wheel spare issue?

Old 02-23-2007, 04:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's on stock 17" wheel spare issue?

I just installed my 2.5"bb from teraflex with 35x12.5x17 bfg mudds on the stock wheels and it looks great (pics tomorrow, going wheeling). The spare doesn't even come close to fitting on the stock setup on the back door. Should I do a spacer and put it on the factory back door or just get a new rear bumer and if so which one?? I also notices that body ridge in the front on the back wheel well?? Has anyone modified that and if so how and did it work or will it slash my tire.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 35" will fit on on the spare with a spacer. Go with at least 1" and it will fit. You can use cut that metal off or grind off either way. I've not had any issues with it but have a 3". I think a 2.5" and you could have some issues during flexing. Chop it off!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:42 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered a 1.5 wheel spacer to put on the spare tire rack. That should work just fine. I actually ordered 2, if you want one I'll sell it for half what I paid + shipping. I believe they were $55 total so $27.50 + shipping.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:15 AM
JK Junkie

A 35" spare should fit on the back with a little effort without a spacer. I removed my bumpstops, and it rubs on the rear bumper, but it fits.
Old 02-27-2007, 02:41 PM
JK Newbie

I just talked to a guy from teraflex plus in slc and he said that a larger tire will tear the back door in half???? Are you running the stock 17" wheels and have you had any issues?
Old 02-27-2007, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

IGOFSHN, I'll take that other spacer if the offer stands. Can you PM me if you still have it? Thanks!
Old 02-27-2007, 03:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by St. George Jeepin
I just talked to a guy from teraflex plus in slc and he said that a larger tire will tear the back door in half???? Are you running the stock 17" wheels and have you had any issues?

this has been a topic I have seen addressed several times. I don't think anyone really has any solid input as no one really has their lifts on for too long. That 35 is heavy, and when I open and close the tail gate it's a huge difference from when the stock tire was on there.... I guess this will be a time will tell deal.
Old 02-27-2007, 04:20 PM
JK Junkie

I am running stock Moab wheels and the tire rubs the bumper when I close the door, transferring some of the weight to the bumper. Will it last very long? I don't know. If you put a spacer on it it will put more leverage on the mount than without the spacer and will not allow the bumper to handle any of the weight, so I feel better not using one. Additionally, without the spacer, you are less likely to drag the tire on the ground when going up a sharp angle.
Old 02-27-2007, 07:00 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Renegade
I am running stock Moab wheels and the tire rubs the bumper when I close the door, transferring some of the weight to the bumper. Will it last very long? I don't know. If you put a spacer on it it will put more leverage on the mount than without the spacer and will not allow the bumper to handle any of the weight, so I feel better not using one. Additionally, without the spacer, you are less likely to drag the tire on the ground when going up a sharp angle.

I just got mine installed with a 1.5 spacer. It fits really good. It still rubs the bumper so it will get added support from that. My stock wheel would not even come close to fitting without a spacer. I really don't notice that much of a difference in weight. I think it will hold up. Time will tell.

Quick Reply: 35's on stock 17" wheel spare issue?