Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's Do you have to change gears

Old 10-26-2012, 08:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepNoob10
I have 3.73's, 35's with a 6-speed manual. It is bearable for a little while. Longer if you're mostly driving around town on flat land.

Long trips are not so good. 6th gear is pretty much useless and forget it if you're driving in a hilly area.
Anytime I have to drive out to PA trying to accelerate on an incline is just non-existent. I am dropping down to 4th gear just to try and stay in the powerband.

If you're going to stay with 35's and wheel it Id say its a good idea to re-gear when you can

People with 6spds have the advantage and are supposed to drop a gear on any incline to go up it (unless you're running the proper RPM prior to entering the incline). Every vehicles drops a gear to compensate for the effect the incline/gravity has on the vehicle lol Like I said before we drive a 3.8L/6spd/3.21 with 35s and it'll climb any hill as long as it's in the RIGHT gear and in the RIGHT RPM range. So that's a bad example why somebody should regear, when that's common sense. If you drive an auto it does it for you, but a manual you always have to do it, unelss you're too low geared and always cruising in the higher RPM at the top of the powerband which happens if you're running 32s and 5.38s etc. Then you wish you had a 7th gear lol No matter what the incline, decline or flat land, you should shift and keep the vehicle in the gear best suited for that terrain. Since you have 3.73s with 35s that comes close to how a Jeep with 3.21s performs stock, which is ok for the majority of people I imagine as it seems there's a lot more 3.21 geared Jeeps out there vs anything other model. Now you know how the stock 3.21 crowd feels hahaha

The only reason to regear daily driver Jeeps is to get back the loss in drivetrain torque you had originally (nothing to do with engine torque and HP), unless you're building race cars then gearing is a whole other monster as you take everything into account more so than just trying to compensate for tire size like you do with DD 4x4s.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by otservice

People with 6spds have the advantage and are supposed to drop a gear on any incline to go up it (unless you're running the proper RPM prior to entering the incline). Every vehicles drops a gear to compensate for the effect the incline/gravity has on the vehicle lol Like I said before we drive a 3.8L/6spd/3.21 with 35s and it'll climb any hill as long as it's in the RIGHT gear and in the RIGHT RPM range. So that's a bad example why somebody should regear, when that's common sense. If you drive an auto it does it for you, but a manual you always have to do it, unelss you're too low geared and always cruising in the higher RPM at the top of the powerband which happens if you're running 32s and 5.38s etc. Then you wish you had a 7th gear lol No matter what the incline, decline or flat land, you should shift and keep the vehicle in the gear best suited for that terrain. Since you have 3.73s with 35s that comes close to how a Jeep with 3.21s performs stock, which is ok for the majority of people I imagine as it seems there's a lot more 3.21 geared Jeeps out there vs anything other model. Now you know how the stock 3.21 crowd feels hahaha

The only reason to regear daily driver Jeeps is to get back the loss in drivetrain torque you had originally (nothing to do with engine torque and HP), unless you're building race cars then gearing is a whole other monster as you take everything into account more so than just trying to compensate for tire size like you do with DD 4x4s.
Yes having to drop down a gear on any incline is normal. If I still had the stock 31's I may still have to drop from 6th to 5th.

With 35's you may need to drop 2-3 gears down depending on your speed to compensate for the lack of torque. You can argue that with 31s the right gear is a gear or 2 higher than when you're running 35s which isnt really my point to the OPs question.

He asked do you really need to re-gear? My response was its bearable if you're not wheeling it or taking short trips on flat land. Everyone has their own sense of what bearable is.

My opinion is on long trips and in hilly areas you are shifting much more than you would if you had the correct gear ratio. If you are ok with that than stick with what you have. If you want to regain some of the torque you lost and make driving in ALL terrains better than I think its a good idea to re-gear, NOT you have to down shift up hill so re-gear. That is just ONE area the OP would notice it more and 1 example I gave. Im sorry if you misunderstood my point, guess its below your expertise in gearing and race car building.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:03 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 856kid
I have a 2008 sahara jku what are the stock gears in it ?
in mine they are 3.21
Old 10-26-2012, 09:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 35 MTR/Ks with 373s and a 6 speed. It drives just fine. Last time I checked it was a Jeep! They suck for power to begin with.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:09 PM
JK Newbie

Default 5:13

5:13 corrected the speedometer and increased the milage. My trip to Moab is mostly up hill. I really helped. Did not notice much difference on the trail. Some increased vibration in front but tolerable. This is with 35 and a 3.5 lift.

mcc
Old 10-26-2012, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only people that say it will be good are those that have not regeared and don't know the difference.
Will it be tolerable? Maybe. Will you regret regearing? No.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bbrown626
The only people that say it will be good are those that have not regeared and don't know the difference.
Only people that say it wont be good are people who drive pre-2012

My 2012 didn't even notice I put 35s on after I calibrated with the ProCal...not regearing till I can replace my front axle mhm.

Last edited by FlameRedJK; 10-27-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:31 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It all boils down to if you have the money to do it then it is worth it. It you don't then people will say it is "fine" with stock gears. Like a couple people said, once you do it you will realize how much better it is.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another thing that I was surprised that wasn't mentioned that's a big factor, do you often spend time at higher altitude?

I'm running 35's on mine with 4:10's and it takes 3rd gear (6 speed 3.8) to go up anything with an incline here, and even just starting in 1st is noticeable that there's no power.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by bbrown626
I haven't regeared, but I know the difference between stock 255 tires and 35's on 3.73 gears, auto. As I said, the difference was just slight. My wife had the same impressions. In city I'm always first, and on highway I'm running rpm's of 5.38 gears. Passing is not an issue, city or highway. If never leaving the pavement, I see no reason at all to regear. Off road is another question, but for now it's OK. You only get 1st gear back if you regear. Nothing else. The only considerable time you'd spend in 1st gear is off road, not pavement.

Quick Reply: 35's Do you have to change gears