Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's on a Dana 30

Old 02-17-2016, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
The front d44 comes on Rubicons. Some people feel that they don't need to spend that much more money just to cruise around the mall. Then again, many people buy rubicons and do just that. Maybe the question is why anyone would buy a JK with a front d30 then spend a bunch of money upgrading it to handle 35's when they could have bought a d44 with better gears and a locker and better shafts to begin with...
Not everyone has the means to start with a Rubicon for one thing. For another some people like building there jeeps up as a hobby. It's part of our sport. Lastly, I'm on my second set of 35's on a D30 with the C's braced. I haven't had a single issue. It's about driving smart. Nthinf4. Be care of. Perceived arrogance
Old 02-17-2016, 03:37 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MTNBKR
Not everyone has the means to start with a Rubicon for one thing. For another some people like building there jeeps up as a hobby. It's part of our sport. Lastly, I'm on my second set of 35's on a D30 with the C's braced. I haven't had a single issue. It's about driving smart. Nthinf4. Be care of. Perceived arrogance
Actually My wife wanted me to buy a Rubicon. I told her I wanted to build it myself and customize it. I actually look forward to the weekend when I can tinker with my Jeep. There is always a project going on with it. Plus its not my DD so I can leave it apart in the garage all week and not have to worry about it.

I say go 35's if you break it you can always tear it apart and rebuild it. Jeeps are one of the easiest vehicles to work on.
Old 02-17-2016, 03:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The front d44 comes on Rubicons. Some people feel that they don't need to spend that much more money just to cruise around the mall. Then again, many people buy rubicons and do just that. Maybe the question is why anyone would buy a JK with a front d30 then spend a bunch of money upgrading it to handle 35's when they could have bought a d44 with better gears and a locker and better shafts to begin with...
Why????? You must know lots of guys who bought rubicons AND STILL swapped out gears, shafts etc ..... So if you're going to do that buy the base model and build it your way.... Why spend extra on the rubi (for what the hood decal) then replace half of it..... You can say they had no intention to do so but hey it's a jeep no such thing as never adding to it modding it up no matter what you bought sport, Sahara, rubi
Old 02-17-2016, 03:57 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by MTNBKR
You completely ignored the post I was replying to and just decided to make my statement into something you could jump on. Good for you...

If you actually went back and read, it was a reply to the post saying that it's stupid to build a stock 44 because it uses the same basic axle housing as the 30. My point was that there are other reasons to buy a rubicon (or a rubicon 44), since you get upgraded internals even if the housing is the same strength. But hey, you haven't had a single issue because you're smart. Go you!!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You completely ignored the post I was replying to and just decided to make my statement into something you could jump on. Good for you... If you actually went back and read, it was a reply to the post saying that it's stupid to build a stock 44 because it uses the same basic axle housing as the 30. My point was that there are other reasons to buy a rubicon (or a rubicon 44), since you get upgraded internals even if the housing is the same strength. But hey, you haven't had a single issue because you're smart. Go you!!
Dude you are so ignorant. Not everyone has piles of extra cash to just throw at some stupid vehicle because it's cooooooooler.
Lololol
Old 02-17-2016, 06:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had Dana 30 front 44 rear ran 35s all day and night no problem check out el_jeepo on insta i had fun even jumped it lol never broke crap. When the right deal came up I bought front rear Dana 44 rubicon axles from a 2013 wrangler and did the swap myself. Now I have lockers and better gearing 👍👌🇺🇸 I will eventually truss the front tho atleast "eventually. But I ran 37s on the Dana 30 for months with no issues.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Wow, a whole lot of misreading and lack of comprehension going on, It was a facetious comment. I wasn't saying everyone should run out a buy a 44. I replied to someone saying that it is stupid to build a 44 because the housing is the same strength. If it is stupid to build a 44, it is just as stupid to build a 30 since it has inferior internals. But we all do it anyway. I did.

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-17-2016 at 07:44 PM.
Old 02-17-2016, 07:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

My 35's and a dana 30!

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3389736739.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	557.5 KB
ID:	638068
Old 02-17-2016, 07:51 PM
JK Super Freak

5 times through rubicon trail with Dana 30 and 35s. C gussets only. If you commit to not getting on the skinny pedal at the drop of a hat, I suspect you can go for a while. I'll be upgrading to a 60 eventually because I really need a front locker and putting one in a 30 will probably lead to eventual disaster
Old 02-18-2016, 11:29 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

I have over 40,000 miles on my 14 jkur so dana 44 which of course is the same as a D30 tube wise. I had my alignment checked very early on like first week and have gotten it checked often since (have local alignment shop who does it for nothing or next to nothing) I have been to Moab several times and did the Rubicon trail I wheel a lot locally and run Toyo 35's so some would consider a heavier tire. I just checked it yesterday as I added a bit of lift and my camber has not changed one iota since new. oh and stock ball joints are still solid. I have no gussets. I would think if they are going to bend they would have started by now. left front is -0.8 and right is -0.5. The tech said almost every jk wrangler he checks is the same ie usually just out of spec. My buddy bought a new crate rubicon d44 to install on his sport and I did the install in my garage and he drove straight to the alignment shop and his was identical one side out and now after about 20,000 he had it checked again last week and still exactly the same. I don't get airborn altho I like to hit fast fire roads and play in the rocks.

Quick Reply: 35's on a Dana 30