Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's or 37's ....

Old 06-18-2013, 09:04 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kh202

$1553 for 4 wheels and 35" mud terrains for the win
Can't beat that. Once I wear my current setup out 35" xterrains on 17" dick cepeks, I'm selling the wheels and goin to 15's. 1600$ for 4 tires is a little much
Old 06-18-2013, 09:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Recommended modifications to support 35-37" tires

Front and rear driveshafts= approx 1k
re-gear axles= approx 1k (EVO special $999)
artec front truss kit installed= approx 1k
upgraded ball joints (because its cheaper now then when they'll die) = approx $350
buyers choice 3.5+" lift kit, installed= 2k-5k (depending on mfg, long arm or short arm etc)
wheels and tires in 20"= 4k plus
ass nasty pocket flares= priceless

Conservatively, 10k, to get the look that you are going for while doing as right as can be without spending more than necessary for supporting mods to actually off road this thing. Its likely i've forgotten an item or three, but this is a good baseline estimate. Good luck with your build.
Old 06-18-2013, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am on 37" with all the necessary strength add ons and a top of the line lift for right at about $7k ish. I could have cut $2k out by not going with the 6 pak shocks or rear drive shaft.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:01 AM
JK Jedi

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nwapache

upgraded ball joints (because its cheaper now then when they'll die) = approx $350
buyers choice 3.5+" lift kit, installed= 2k-5k (depending on mfg, long arm or short arm etc)

Conservatively, 10k, to get the look that you are going for while doing as right as can be without spending more than necessary for supporting mods to actually off road this thing. Its likely i've forgotten an item or three, but this is a good baseline estimate. Good luck with your build.
Grand for the Artec install? Shit! I have one under my bed yet to be installed.... Didn't think it would cost a friggin grand! Wtf
Old 06-18-2013, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

I bought a basic automatic 2013 Wrangler Unlimited ...
For a split second I did think about getting a manual trans but stayed with the auto

Originally Posted by kh202
Or if you have a manual transmission, could just say screw the tuner/ procal all together like i did
Old 06-18-2013, 10:08 AM
JK Newbie

Really?
Taking into consideration I'm not planning on offroading it?

"ass nasty pocket flares= priceless" Lol

Old 06-18-2013, 10:13 AM
JK Newbie

Originally my mind was set on 20" wheels w/ 35" tires but I saw a white JK Unlimited yesterday on 37's and it looked like a BEAST!!

I'm going to look into the Diablo tuner now ....

Originally Posted by Yellowfin
I'll play devil's advocate here....and will probably be considered an ass for doing so, but why the hell would you even consider 37's for a pure street Jeep? And on 20's at that? Just for show? Sounds like you have more money than sense, my friend.

Even with 35's, on 20" wheels, you'll want to regear to account for the loss in acceleration and drivability you're going to experience. Big tires are heavy, as are big wheels. Put the two together and you're adding a lot of unsprung weight to each corner and even with the Pentastar, it's going to suck until you regear your axles. So plan for that cost, as well. I'd say 4.88's would suffice and get you back close to stock when your planned wheels & tires. 4.88's paired with the 3.6L engine seem to be comparable to 5.13's paired with the 3.8L, which is what I'm running with 37's and 17x8 wheels. And it still ahs a hard time getting out of its own way. While you're at it, plan on another $700 to account for a Diablo Trinity tuner, as that's still the only one available for 2011+ Wranglers that I'm aware of.

If you're going to do it, find wheels as light weight as you can. Also, one of the best tires you'll find, and it's very capable off-road as well, is the Falken WildPeak A/T. Good for street and trail. Not so much for mud, but even decent on rocks should you ever decide you want to give that a whirl. Honestly, you'd be better off going with nothing larger than an 18" wheel to save some weight and coin. Besides.....Jeeps just don't look right on 20" wheels.

But it's your rig and your money....do what makes ya' happy.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

re-gear axles= approx 1k (EVO special $999) Most places are even higher than that now.
artec front truss kit installed= approx 1k The kit is under $300...if someone is charging that much for install....stay the hell away from them!
upgraded ball joints (because its cheaper now then when they'll die) = approx $350 Poly Performance....$120/side and about 3 hours to install...find a buddy
buyers choice 3.5+" lift kit, installed= 2k-5k (depending on mfg, long arm or short arm etc) Please don't pay to have a lift installed unless you have fab work/serious welding that needs to be done. Most can be done with hand tools, a couple jack stands, a couple buddies, and a few beers.
wheels and tires in 20"= 4k plus Agreed
ass nasty pocket flares= priceless Also agreed....go with flat flares instead

Allow me to pick this one apart some....
Old 06-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Sponsoring Vendor
ORW Representative

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Most experienced gear places are going to charge anywhere from $600-$800 in parts/labor per axle to re-gear a used vehicle. Brand new vehicles can cut the cost by only doing certain bearings but $1000 for both axles sounds like lower quality parts (non-US/Italian made gears and the use of SKF/National bearings instead of Timken) and sketchy installers.

Buy nice or buy twice is more than a saying. It is a way of life.
Old 06-18-2013, 10:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ORWJK
Buy nice or buy twice is more than a saying. It is a way of life.
Amen.