Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's, 3" lift and REAR ds

Old 11-01-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's, 3" lift and REAR ds

I'm waiting on delivery of a 6-spd manual 2012 JKU. Already have a Full Traction 3" Prem Plus lift, and a JE Reel front ds to avoid the exhaust crossover issues on the '12's.

While talking to the techs @ FT, they mentioned that I'd probably want to get a new rear ds eventually, as well. Since I was dropping 2K on the lift, and buying 35's, new wheels, etc, I decided to hold off on the rear ds.

Now I'm thinking that might be a mistake.

Of course, I have a tendency to overthink things.

What do y'all think? Will I be good for awhile without the rear ds, or should i just go ahead and get it, then install it along with everything else?

My Jeep's a dd, but I'll wheel it on weekends. I'll also wheel it in some fairly unpredictable situations for work (I've been to the Gulf Coast immediately after Katrina, the southeast after the recent tornadoes, etc). Also make a lot of long distance road trips.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:17 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On an unlimited the rear ds will last a long time(joint wise) until u bash it into something.
Save your $$
Old 11-01-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

I take it the recommendation to replace is more directed toward the 2-dr, with it's shorter wheelbase?

Pulling that out of my a$$.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by kwolf
I take it the recommendation to replace is more directed toward the 2-dr, with it's shorter wheelbase?

Pulling that out of my a$$.
You would be correct.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I installed my TeraFlex 3" last fall which netted me 4-5" lift as I still don't have heavy bumpers or other gear. I haven't had any issues with front or rear drivelines so far, and I wheel most weekends. I'll upgrade drive if I ever break them, but until then, stock is not just good, it's good enough!
Old 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GearWhore
I installed my TeraFlex 3" last fall which netted me 4-5" lift as I still don't have heavy bumpers or other gear. I haven't had any issues with front or rear drivelines so far, and I wheel most weekends. I'll upgrade drive if I ever break them, but until then, stock is not just good, it's good enough!
I hear you. Only reason I bought the front ds is because it's engineered to work with my Full Traction system...with the combo, I don't have to mess with spacers or aftermarket pipes to get around the '12's exhaust crossover problem w/lifts 3+ inches or shocks 27.25 + inches.

Even a med-size lift leaves the front ds on the '12s at a fairly steep angle.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mkjeep
You would be correct.
Thanks, ninja.

私はあなたの知識に屈する (I bow to your knowledge.)

Old 11-01-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, the 2012 does make a big difference. I crawled under one on a test drive last month and that front pipe on the exhaust is just waiting to get smashed! I think the sales guy thought i was a bit nuts...
Old 11-01-2011, 06:55 PM
JK Freak

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

When I installed my lift (3" TF) my rear pinion angle was a little steep (I only had lower adjustable arms though). I bought upper adjustables and they fixed the problem. So, as long as you have adj uppers you will be fine.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:02 PM
JK Jedi Master

はいあなたの先生に弓!!母

Click image for larger version

Name:	imagesCACJXKDP rex.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	12.5 KB
ID:	231611

Quick Reply: 35's, 3" lift and REAR ds