Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's and a 3" lift

Old 11-01-2008, 11:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35's and a 3" lift

Is this still true with heavy steel bumpers?

Q: What size lift do I need to get in order to fit 35" Tires?
A: I would recommend a minimum of a 2.5" budget boost but a 3" lift would be a better fit. You can also install a 2" budget boost and 1" body lift to get you there as well.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 3" TeraFlex suspension lift with 35x12.5x17 Pro Comp Xtreme AT's...they fit fine with only the 3" lift. I do have a little rub at full turn of the wheel, but haven't got to doing any trimming yet, as it's not that bad. So far, it works great on the trail too. I have the stock front bumper on it right now, so I'm not sure how much that will impact the height of the front end...may end up having to put a 1" spacer in or something like that...we'll see when the time comes.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:58 PM
JK Super Freak

I have the FT 3" and 35s. No problems, even at full flex.
Old 11-01-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have steel bumpers, winch, skids and I'm running a 3 inch BDS lift and 35's. I added a 1 inch body lift due to not being able to fully flew the rear cause of the pinch weld. I eventually cut the rear corners of the pinch weld off.

Go for a 3 inch lift, 35's, cut the pinch welds in the rear and you will be set.
Old 11-01-2008, 02:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Instead of cutting the pinch weld, bend it out of the way with a rubber mallet. If it is cut, it looses much of it's intergrity.

Alternately, you could put 33's on, and stencil "35x12.50x17" in white letters on it.

I have 33's Mickey Thompson on mine with 3" front/2" rear, and it looks like the perfect size. No issues with rubbing to worry about.
Old 11-01-2008, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

One exception to these would be bumpers from Rock Hard 4x4. Most all bumpers on the market are 3/16 inch steel. Rock Hards are made from 1/4 inch steel. This bad boy is very heavy. My front bumper and winch had very little impact on ride height but the heavy rear bumper definitely has the rear end sagging down a little.

Ty
Old 11-01-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

hey guys, what are the pinch welds?
Old 11-01-2008, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nick08JKUX
I have a 3" TeraFlex suspension lift with 35x12.5x17 Pro Comp Xtreme AT's...they fit fine with only the 3" lift. I do have a little rub at full turn of the wheel, but haven't got to doing any trimming yet, as it's not that bad. So far, it works great on the trail too. I have the stock front bumper on it right now, so I'm not sure how much that will impact the height of the front end...may end up having to put a 1" spacer in or something like that...we'll see when the time comes.
could your rubing be fixed by wheel backspacing?
Old 11-02-2008, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by superduperman86
hey guys, what are the pinch welds?

Pinch welds are the sheetmetal that comes to a point immediately in front of the REAR tire.

There are a few pieces that are pinched together. If they are cut to allow for larger tires, the strength of the weld is gone. Bending them is the best option.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

I wouldn't want to change my back spacing from what it's already at...the rubbing isn't bad and I'll take care of it once I determine exactly where it is and how much. I definitely wouldn't want my tires to stick out any wider than they do right now

The pinch welds are on the rocker panel, under the doors...you can see where the metal is sandwiched together, which makes up the "pinch". I will probably end up bending mine back with a mallet, as recommended because my tires may end up hitting the pinch seam in the rear...haven't yet, but we'll see.

Nick

Quick Reply: 35's and a 3" lift