Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's + 3" lift + 3.21 gears = Bad idea?

Old 03-24-2008, 12:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Keene oh8JK
LOL right. If that was the case everyone would be doing their own. You go ahead and do yours.....
Trust me, I plan to do just that.
Old 03-24-2008, 12:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

gears are pretty hard to do. You have backlash to set so they don't whine. It can be a pain to get carrier and stuff out. I don't mess with that crap. Take it to the expert and pay 400 per axle to set it up right then if their is a problem guess what, warranty
Old 03-24-2008, 05:30 PM
JK Newbie

Default Go for it!

I have a 4" with 35s... And the same JK as you (manual)... I love it and no I didn't completely lose 6th gear because I'm pretty sure I used it on the highway today during a 6 hour drive. You can't go up steep hills with it obviously but you can still use it on slight inclines and flats for sure.

By the way, as long as it's manual, gas mileage becomes somewhat worse but it really comes down to the DRIVER. If you know how to drive right with manual you can keep the mileage loss down.

ALL OF THIS BEING SAID - you definitely lose power (obviously), but I love the overall results so much that I'm willing to go with the power loss cause it's manageable. I'm not gonna regear for a while, maybe not ever on this Jeep, but my next Jeep I'll get a better ratio so I can keep the power I want.

Find one in your area that has the same setup and ask for a ride if you have any doubts.
Old 03-24-2008, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Keene oh8JK
LOL right. If that was the case everyone would be doing their own. You go ahead and do yours.....
so Keene, how does the jeep move with the 33's and 3.21?

how are the rpms and shift points?

thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by GoArmy8317
I have a 4" with 35s... And the same JK as you (manual)... I love it and no I didn't completely lose 6th gear because I'm pretty sure I used it on the highway today during a 6 hour drive. You can't go up steep hills with it obviously but you can still use it on slight inclines and flats for sure.

By the way, as long as it's manual, gas mileage becomes somewhat worse but it really comes down to the DRIVER. If you know how to drive right with manual you can keep the mileage loss down.

ALL OF THIS BEING SAID - you definitely lose power (obviously), but I love the overall results so much that I'm willing to go with the power loss cause it's manageable. I'm not gonna regear for a while, maybe not ever on this Jeep, but my next Jeep I'll get a better ratio so I can keep the power I want.

Find one in your area that has the same setup and ask for a ride if you have any doubts.

what gearing did you say that you have with that setup?

thanks
Old 03-24-2008, 07:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jcrowell
so Keene, how does the jeep move with the 33's and 3.21?

how are the rpms and shift points?

thanks
I wouldnt want to do much off roading with it ... but for street driving its pretty good. shift points ... hrmmm . I dont pay attention ... lol but I would say 55mph in 3rd is pretty easy. I'll check them tomorrow and give real numbers.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:57 AM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Smoke6
Don't you have a lot of connections through your place of employment?
Join a jeep club, you can always make connections with a good mechanic
Old 03-25-2008, 05:03 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jcrowell
what gearing did you say that you have with that setup?

thanks

It's 3.21 (Stock X)
Old 03-25-2008, 05:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default gears

I have an X with 35's, 6 speed, just put in the 5.13's last week, I cant say enough about the difference the gears made, I do have all the engine mods minus headers, but if I had it to do over again, I would have put in the gears and left everything else alone and saved some money. I took it on a 3hr road trip over the weekend. I put it in sixth, set the cruise at 75 and never looked back. it was turning 3K rpms. I got 14.5 MPG and it cruised up and down the hills whith no problem. never lost a single MPH. I can actully just press the accellerator in 6th on the highway and make a pass no problem. so if you are thinking mods save for the gears first then see what else you need. I can say with confidence there is NO other mod that will give you the bang for the buck that gears will. as soon as I wear out my 35's I am going with 37's. I will have no problem on the highway with those either.

So in my experience (gleaned from other board members) so far here is my advice.

1st lift tires
2nd gears
3rd adjustable upper front control arms. (if you went more than 2.5 in the front)

those Items made the most difference in power, driveablitly and handling.

my jeep will track straight as an arrow at 75. I can slam on the brakes and let go of the wheel and it goes straight. (all this as a result of upper control arms and 6 degrees of caster thanks WOL)

Just my 2 cents for 2D 6 speed owners.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

I asked this in another topic but it seems more appropriate here. I saw a guy selling 4:10's for pretty cheap that I thought about buying... Right now I don't have plans (aka money) for a lift or new wheels/tires. I have a stock X s package with the 17" wheels. I don't even know that I will want to lift ever, maybe a more aggressive tire but for the trails I do and eventually sand I don't see a lift in the near future. Does it make sense for me to try and grab up these 4:10's when I have the 3.73's?? I didn't have any trouble on my first trail run which included a couple slippery hill climbs, I was quite impressed with my stock ride actually.

If I did get the 4:10's I am also wondering about the affects of daily driving...or the differences. I'll get crap but I'll ask anyway will this cause the mpg to decrease on-road? Also just so I am understanding WHAT a gear change like this would do: increase torqe primarily right? and increase the rate at which the wheels turn at any given RPM range?

I'm a noob

Quick Reply: 35's + 3" lift + 3.21 gears = Bad idea?