Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's with 3.21 gears

Old 01-24-2009, 02:27 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just 35 MT's put on today with stock gears and a 6 speed. It is a fraction of a bit sluggish but nothing I cant handle. Im extremely happy. I took a hilly way home to see if I would hate it and you know what....its a Jeep not a race car and really if you know how to drive stick then it really doesnt matter. My rpm's were a little higher but nothing that made want my 33's back on. Sure down the road I will regear but for now I have a huge smile on my face.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Anyone else have any input on this? I am still considering.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:11 PM
JK Junkie

Automatic, big issue.

Manual, not so much.

Losing 6th gear, reality.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Freak

same boat here... running 3.21s with 32s and a stick.
i HATE the feeling of taking off in a parking lot in 1st and 15mph is as SLOW as i can go (before it gets warmed up and the rpms drop)...

i know a guy that put 5.13s in, and 35s (on a 2dr/stick) and heard all about the HIGH rpms on the highway, i guess thats ok if he wants to run 37s some day.

the 4.56s (if they ever come) would be ok

but for the most part, WHAT gears do you guys think would be best???
4.88 is what i've got planned, and "heard" should be best. BUT what if i want to move up to 37s too...?

sorry for the rant, but i KNOW how you all feel...
Old 01-25-2009, 02:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RedrockX
same boat here... running 3.21s with 32s and a stick.
i HATE the feeling of taking off in a parking lot in 1st and 15mph is as SLOW as i can go (before it gets warmed up and the rpms drop)...

i know a guy that put 5.13s in, and 35s (on a 2dr/stick) and heard all about the HIGH rpms on the highway, i guess thats ok if he wants to run 37s some day.

the 4.56s (if they ever come) would be ok

but for the most part, WHAT gears do you guys think would be best???
4.88 is what i've got planned, and "heard" should be best. BUT what if i want to move up to 37s too...?

sorry for the rant, but i KNOW how you all feel...
4.56's are available. I just had a set installed last week. I have 6-speed and 33's, and am glad I didn't go lower than I did.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Roxster
4.56's are available. I just had a set installed last week. I have 6-speed and 33's, and am glad I didn't go lower than I did.
i figure, if i'm going through all the BS of changing gears anyway...
i may as well at least be able to run 37's.

4.88 and 35 will be cool... but i figure it should run a set of 37s so i can get that out of my system.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by serveapurpose
Honestly all you are doing is pissing on someones flame! Build your Jeep your way and let others build theirs in the stages they choose. We all have the same past time in common let's wheel ..........
I haven't pissed on anyone in years... I was just asking him a question. I can barely afford to do gears. I would absolutely love to have a hemi, but I cannot afford to do it. I might could get close if the install kit wasn't $5k but it isn't gonna happen for me. I wasn't trying to hurt his feelers or anything just asking an honest question. Most people on here doing hemi swaps could care less if they swap gears only to have to redo them. Those guys are in a whole different financial bracket than me.

I hope everyone gets to o everything they want to their Jeep. I think t will be great if he gets a Hemi, and I hope he posts pics when he does!!! Good luck!
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Newbie

I am following the progress of a conversion done @ Screamin Lizard now. If this turns out as good as I hope, I'm all in.....and will definitely post pics.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 6 speed with 3.21s and 35s... around town it does fine. and on the highway it isnt as terrible as i expected. when i regear around june or so i will put 4.56s in there since i never rockcrawl and dont need the super low gearing of 4.88s because i drive a lot of highway.

jsut what i think.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:34 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Roxster
Did you swap out 3.21? If so, how big of a difference is it? I am still considering upgrading, I put 33's on last night (Actually more like 32's) and it is not terrible, but not great either. 6th gear is pretty useless.

On a side note, I do not understand all of this clutch talk. I can see no correlation between gearing and clutch.

Quick Reply: 35's with 3.21 gears