Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's with 3.21 gears

Old 01-24-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No need to explain your situation to anyone else nor get dragged down into the mud of a truly ungracious response which wasn't funny.

Again, and from my perspective, go for it as you'll be less than happy with the 33s. There won't be any problems rolling out in first gear and the advantage of a manual transmission it won't be hunting for gears. When the funds present themselves you can re-gear and with a pretty good reference as to what the right ones for you will be.

Keep your lift expense to a minimum to prevent any driveline issues, 1" body lift 2" coils and shocks. That's more than enough room to get the 35s in there and saving some change for the future.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

i getting a used 2.5"BB for a killer price, and i'll be getting flat fenders, i'll use bump stops to prevent rub should i find any.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:42 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LMAO!!! I cannot believe you got all butt-hurt over my comment. I was just joking dude. Just so you know I am a full time college student as well. If you don't think I can relate you are out of your tree. I do believe though that anything worth doing is worth doing right. If you are already spending $1500 on tires, why don't you go ahead and spend $2500 and get tires and propper gears. You are going to ruin your clutch being geared wrong and you will get 9mpg. There is a reason you cannot get that size tire with those gears from the factory!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

I've got 35's on my 2dr and am running 3.21's. This is not ideal but is tolerable, especially if you can't afford to re-gear right away. 6th gear is pretty much useless but everything else is tolerable.

I am considering a hemi swap and intend to keep a manual tranny. Will definitely keep the 3.21's w/ the hemi at least for awhile. Shouldn't have any problems with 6th gear in the future with the increased torque of the hemi. Just need to wait for the installers to details of the swap w/ manual tranny.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hemi - $20k

gears - $1k

????? You can afford a Hemi, but not gears? Are you not worried about burning up clutches and other damage?

I had 33s with 4.10s and I thought it was way under geared. Now that I have 35s and 4.10s I am miserable. I can't wait until Tuesday when my 5.13s go in!!!
Old 01-24-2009, 11:57 AM
JK Newbie

Hi , I bought some 33X 13.50 r 18 , because I tough 35 would be too much for my 3.21 gears and 6 speed, turn out , my 33s are defect so I turned them in and put my winter tires on ( 275/65 r 18 same as stock but wider) guess what almost no difference, so I m gonna get some 35 s for sure, really hate those 3.21, gonna swap for 4.56
Old 01-24-2009, 12:12 PM
JK Junkie

Burning the clutch will happen if you ride it. If you keep your foot off the clutch when driving and only depress when you need to shift, the clutch will be fine. The gas is the only thing that will start to burn more.
Old 01-24-2009, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

theres was some contruction on a local highway that brought the speed down to 70 kph, i had it on cruise control and left it in 6th, i couldn't beleive how good my fuel economy got.
based on the computer ( i now its not accurate) i got 33 mpg, compared to my normal 18.
so i'm sure i'll be fine!
Old 01-24-2009, 01:39 PM
Sponsoring Vendor
Off Road Evolution Rep

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
hemi - $20k

gears - $1k

????? You can afford a Hemi, but not gears? Are you not worried about burning up clutches and other damage?

I had 33s with 4.10s and I thought it was way under geared. Now that I have 35s and 4.10s I am miserable. I can't wait until Tuesday when my 5.13s go in!!!
Honestly all you are doing is pissing on someones flame! Build your Jeep your way and let others build theirs in the stages they choose. We all have the same past time in common let's wheel ..........
Old 01-24-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Newbie

I can afford gears and hemi if needed. I have been waiting for a hemi conversion with manual transmission and wanted to wait to regear until I knew for certain whether I was gonna go with an auto or stick.

As this is my daily driver and have a 75 mile round trip commute, I can't totally ignore fuel economy, so I want to keep rpm @ 70 mph around 2000 rpm w/ the hemi. If I go with the auto tranny, I would likely switch to 4.10's or 4.56 gears. However, if I go with the stick, I would either keep the 3.21's or move up to 3.73 or 4.10. The difference is that the auto and stick final gear ratio are different, so I need to keep that in mind.

So to make a long story short, I'm going to keep the 3.21's and go forward with the hemi swap with manual transmission. If I'm not satisfied at that point, I can then spend the extra $1200 or so for the gear swap.

Quick Reply: 35's with 3.21 gears