Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's with 3.21 gears

Old 01-23-2009, 03:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With a 6 speed I just think you start dropping the higher gears and your level of pain will tell you when to make the move. The move to 35s increase the rotational weight and the unsprung weight so the effect of about an extra 100lbs of weight is like throwing 10x that much weight in the back as cargo.

What that leaves you with is about 5-600 additional rpms to feel the same level of power and responsiveness as stock.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

but so much weight that people are burning through clutches? seem like a lot, especially seeing that i can start of in second without a problem, and if i try a bit i can start off in 3rd (don't do it often, but have to prove a point!). i can't see first being that low because of the tires
Old 01-23-2009, 07:00 AM
JK Newbie

I put on the 35's (really about 34.5"). I also have the 6 speed with 3.21's. There was no power before the bigger wheels and there really is not a big difference now. There will be no difference with 2-5th gear except the rpm's for the speed, obviously. I still use 6th on the highway, although it is just a sluggish as it was before the new wheels. It really is not much more difficult to take off in 1st, and if you know how to drive a standard you should really have no problems. It still takes off from the line as crappy as it did before the wheels.

I have read tons of stuff on regearing and all of the opinions. If it were an automatic transmission I would say to not get the wheels until you had regeared due to computer shift points, etc. In a 6 speed, you are the computer and you should know when to shift. I do not feather the clutch due to the new wheels, in fact, when I put the old wheels next to the new wheels there is only a difference of a few inches.

Anyway, I think you should be fine. BTW, I will be regearing at some point but it is not a huge priority.
Old 01-23-2009, 08:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

well i was driving last night a little bit harder then i usually would and i decided, if i wanted a racecar i woulda of kept my jetta!
i'm almost out of both of my speeding tickets so i really don't need off the line performance. i think i'm going to go with the 35's. that is when i get the money!
i'm going to throw on a 2.5bb and flat fenders, (and extended bumps if i need them but i don't think i will with 4-4.5"BS on the wheels
thanks for all the input everyone. keep it comming!
Old 01-23-2009, 08:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got 35's with 3.21's and M6.

I bought it new with the 35's, so don't know how it compares to stock, but I haven't had any problems getting around.

6th gear is pretty useless unless you're going down hill or have a tail wind. 5th on the highway does fine for the most part as long as you stay around 2K RPM or higher.

I'll be glad when I get the AEV Procal to correct my speedometer so I know how fast I'm really going. I originally thought mine stock came with 32's, but apparently they were 29's stock.
Old 01-23-2009, 03:03 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by YOGURT
I have a 2 door six speed with 3.21 and 33's. I have to tell you I hate it. Does it work? sure. But I am ordering 5.13 and going to 35's soon. I wish that I had just bought 35's to begin with. I think if your honest with yourself you'll be fine.
If your just gonna drive around town and the occasional trail ride you should be ok for a while. But I do have to warn you, if you do this you will always want to re gear every time you drive that jeep. It starts to weigh on you after awhile. You will basically have a four speed now.

The crawl ratio is terrible and thats with 33's but if you don't wheel hard you'll be fine. But go 35's and start saving for gears before you go 33's I wasted 800 dollars in tires by doing that.

I agree, tire dealers should not be allowed to sell 33's.....we buy them then decide we shoulda gone 35's......it's the tire dealers fault I tell you...
Old 01-23-2009, 03:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Congressman
I put on the 35's (really about 34.5"). I also have the 6 speed with 3.21's. There was no power before the bigger wheels and there really is not a big difference now. There will be no difference with 2-5th gear except the rpm's for the speed, obviously. I still use 6th on the highway, although it is just a sluggish as it was before the new wheels. It really is not much more difficult to take off in 1st, and if you know how to drive a standard you should really have no problems. It still takes off from the line as crappy as it did before the wheels.

I have read tons of stuff on regearing and all of the opinions. If it were an automatic transmission I would say to not get the wheels until you had regeared due to computer shift points, etc. In a 6 speed, you are the computer and you should know when to shift. I do not feather the clutch due to the new wheels, in fact, when I put the old wheels next to the new wheels there is only a difference of a few inches.

Anyway, I think you should be fine. BTW, I will be regearing at some point but it is not a huge priority.

This is kind of what I was thinking.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:40 PM
JK Super Freak

I live in flat south GA and am running 35's, 3.73 gears and a 6spd. I have no trouble with the 3.73's locally but 6th is useless when I travel and get out of the flat land so I can see where 3.21's would feel useless on any type of incline.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:28 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this should be moved to xtreme tech. It is xtremely sucky sounding!
Old 01-24-2009, 05:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

i don't think it sounds sucky at all... some people can't afford to buy gears with the tires, and a 4" lift and the driveshafts to go with it, of course while being away at school. but does this mean i can't get traction when i wheel? if i worked full time and was settled in to a house i would say "ya i'll buy everything i need and do it all at once when i can" but guess what.... i can't, nor can i buy everything i need and wait to install. i only have a bedroom in my dorm!
so i say its pretty cool.

Quick Reply: 35's with 3.21 gears