Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35's with 3.21?

Old 03-06-2011, 03:38 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by Rexlba
Even more of a reason to re-gear or go smaller...
Or you could look at the rpm numbers given above.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Torrin
Kiss 6th gear goodbye. I ran 33's with 3.21's for about a year, so I know it is doable, it just will suck. You will have to use a much lower gear (Like 3rd gear on the Freeway to get up hills, etc.)

I would not do 35's with 3.21's if you do not plan on regearing.
Im running 33's and 3.21's right now and Im always in 6th. Even through the hills of TN and KY I just drop it down to 5th. I constantly drive 70+ without a problem.
Old 03-06-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just put 35's (315/70-17s) on my 6-speed with 3.21 gears this week (put the BB/lift on this weekend in the snow!) and it's not the worst thing ever.

I have always wondered what folks compare their Jeeps to when they say it's gutless, needs a Hemi, etc. Mine has the tallest gears you can get and is normally the quickest away from stop lights. It's not a sports car, but certainly can get out of it's own way... at least with 32's.

With the 35's it still gets up and goes - just slower. I'm not trying to race anyone so who cares?

I haven't wheeled it yet to any great extent... mostly just getting in and out of my driveway. Now, before you , you need to know this: we have snow on the ground here Dec-April and I stopped shovelling my driveway when I bought the Jeep in '09. The entrance to my driveway is the height of my mailbox!

Can you do it? Yes. Will you like it? Only you will know. I can live with mine for now - no problem!

Old 03-06-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Junkie

Thanks guys. In the time it took me to drive to work I got 15 responses.

YES I have an AUTO. So I guess she will automatically decide what gear she wants, haha!

So...let's say I go ahead and do the 35's and keep the 3.21 for awhile. Thoughts on a 2 1/2" budget boost?

Here's the thing, I have to do everything on a budget. I have had her since Sept and haven't done anything to her. SO What I do I want to be right. I don't want to go off half cocked and just mess something up. I know it's all about learning, etc, but being my DD and my only vehicle, I can't have her out of commisssion for long if I do mess something up.

BTW...you guys rock! I am leaning towards the 35's just want to do it all correctly.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Turn OD Off and you will be ok.

Have you found the faq's yet? In the drivetrain area is a great rpm chart. Measure the tires (don't use the misleading mfg's propaganda height), then play with the numbers. That will show you the OD On rpm's. To get OD Off, divide that number by .69

An example:

Auto, 3.21's, 31" tires (guessing on the actual height of your stock tires)
= 1681 rpm @ 70 mph

Auto, 3.21's, 34" tires (you're new 35's could be anywhere from 33.5-34.5 when mounted)
= 1533 rpm @ 70 mph
then /.69
= 2221 rpm @ 70 mph OD Off
This is a much more freeway friendly rpm.

My opinion is that JK Auto's are undergeared straight from the factory, and a mid-2k rpm range on the freeway is what you want to shoot for.

And another comparison:
Auto, 5.13's, 34" tires
= 2450 rpm @ 70 mph with OD On

So your OD Off with 3.21's and 35's won't be horrible. Not optimal, but livable.
Auto's have never came with 3.21's.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 3:21 and 33s (manual trans) and
I wish I just did 35s. Are you (OP) an automatic? I say go for the 35s and see what ya need after...
Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Junkie

Start with installing a lift. Buy your tires and start saving for the gears. It is well worth the investment.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by stlfan06
Auto's have never came with 3.21's.
My paperwork says it's a 3.21 and I thought without the tow package it had a 3.21. I plan on calling in my VIN tomorrow to double check because I got under the Jeep and couldn't find a ratio tab with the numbers and the sticker was well worn and unreadable.

Originally Posted by ECHO
That lift will do you very well.. will take care of any clearance issues.. It will hit you on the gas mileage as well..
Between that and the 35's.. But; WELL worth it
Not too worried about MPG....it's a Jeep. I don't drive very far. I drive to work and back which is 42 miles daily. Small runs here and there...Then I go on a big road trip once in awhile when I need to clear my head, but that's about it.

I'm also not worried about being fast off the line! I get pulled over plenty for some reason. So, being slow off the line will just help keep me out of trouble...ha...no I know, long shot.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:20 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have 3.21s but I have been running 35s on 3.73 gears with an auto for 2 years and its OK but obviously not ideal especially considering its a DD for me as well. Get a 2.5 lift and 35s, you won't regret it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 03-06-2011, 05:22 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by bearstylez
I have 3:21 and 33s (manual trans) and
I wish I just did 35s. Are you (OP) an automatic? I say go for the 35s and see what ya need after...
Yep, Auto. I had a manual with my YJ, decided to try auto this time. I actually enjoy driving a manual, but...always have to try something new.