Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35 x 12.50 x 15 Mickey thompsons MTZ's won't balance.. WTF

Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 x 12.50 x 15 Mickey thompsons MTZ's won't balance.. WTF

so i took my new tires and wheels 35x12.5x15 and porcomp wheels 15x8 to the tire shop. they mounted all five tires but only one would balance. all the other four tires were 20+ ounces out of wack.. Tires place said that the one tire that did balance was made the first of the year and the other four were manufactured at the end of last year near Christmas time.. Possible issue??

what could be the problem?? seriously 20+ ounces out of balance on all other four tires to me is unheard of and the tires shop as well. did i get a bad set? and is there a solution to this? i was told that a product called EQUAL can be used to help the balancing. Im stummed??

please help!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2012, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Call who ever you bought the tires from and explain to them the problem, see what they'll do for you. If not you tire guy is right use the equal balance bags.
Old 03-18-2012, 08:33 AM
JK Newbie

sorry probably should have stated that this is a daily driver as well.. Im having trouble believing that 20 + ounces out of balance is exceptable. especially on a brand new tire and wheel set up..
Old 03-18-2012, 08:34 AM
JK Newbie

and yes i will be calling who i bought the set up from first thing monday morning..
Old 03-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Wow 20 oz is a ton of weight. I would almost take it somewhere else and see if they give you the same number. My 35's only took 4-6 oz to balance. I have run bias ply swampers that took less than that...
Old 03-18-2012, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by vertigo
this usually happens when the ones doing the balancing are not the ones who sold you the tires "I would have nevedr bought thisX brand brand X is so horrible"
This is true
Old 03-18-2012, 10:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have you taken a look at Dyna Beads? I am not sure if that is what you would want or would even solve your problems but I use them on my 35" Trail Grapplers. I have 8 oz of off road beads in each tire. About 5k miles on my 2012 so far and I don't notice anything different then my other vehical's with traditional balancing. I have heard that the Nitto makes a really good tire that is balanced. I love my Trail Grapplers with the Dyna Beads.

Trending Topics

Old 03-18-2012, 11:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Have they tried pulling the tires off the bead and giving them a 180* spin on the rims? This usually cures such an imballance. Being everything is new i assume there isn't and forgin material stuck in the treads or built up on the rim.
The other suggestion is tire ballancers have a hub type assembly where you actually bolt the rim/tire assemble on the ballancer as if it was bolted onto the hub of the jeep. I had to do this to ballance a set of hancooks on alcoa rims. This method uses the mounting bolts as your centre instead of the centre of the rim.
Good luck with this. Let us know how it pans out.

Bull
Old 03-18-2012, 01:42 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Bull
Have they tried pulling the tires off the bead and giving them a 180* spin on the rims? This usually cures such an imballance. Being everything is new i assume there isn't and forgin material stuck in the treads or built up on the rim.
The other suggestion is tire ballancers have a hub type assembly where you actually bolt the rim/tire assemble on the ballancer as if it was bolted onto the hub of the jeep. I had to do this to ballance a set of hancooks on alcoa rims. This method uses the mounting bolts as your centre instead of the centre of the rim.
Good luck with this. Let us know how it pans out.

Bull
yeah im gonna try the local four wheel place here in york, pa. see what they have to say.. Along with calling the place who sold them to me.. is this normal with an aggressive tread like the mtz's to be out of balance that bad..
Old 03-18-2012, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by buddyhydro
Have you taken a look at Dyna Beads? I am not sure if that is what you would want or would even solve your problems but I use them on my 35" Trail Grapplers. I have 8 oz of off road beads in each tire. About 5k miles on my 2012 so far and I don't notice anything different then my other vehical's with traditional balancing. I have heard that the Nitto makes a really good tire that is balanced. I love my Trail Grapplers with the Dyna Beads.

2012 rubi here. thats exactly what im trying to mount them onto. do you run them beads on your daily driver?? and is 8 ounces all your tires were off?? why not use the weight??

Quick Reply: 35 x 12.50 x 15 Mickey thompsons MTZ's won't balance.. WTF