Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" Tires upgrade, stock wheels

Old 10-28-2006, 06:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" Tires upgrade, stock wheels

I’m looking to do some minor modifications to my Jeep but I have a number of questions. Hopefully I won’t be ridiculed too badly.

I do not plan to do what would be considered “serious wheeling”, however some of the roads leading to the alpine lakes and such in my area are not for the meek. My Jeep is for getting to prime hunting, fishing and camping areas.

I plan to put a short lift and 35 inch tires. I don’t want to replace the stock wheels (at least not right away), how do I figure out how wide they are and how big of a tire they will fit? I’m thinking I will use the same tire that comes stock (BFG MTR 32”) but in a 35” version. (This is were the ridicule comes in) I checked the BFGoodrich page and they do make that same tire in a 35”. I just need to figure out if it will fit on that stock wheel.

Just a side note, I do not have my JK yet so I can’t check or measure off the wheel itself.

Beel
Unlimited Rubicon – Rescue Green – Ordered Sept. 30
Old 10-28-2006, 07:07 PM
JK Freak

yea the only "problem" is the stock rubicon wheel is only 7.5" wide and your not going to find a 35" tall tire that is skinnyer than a 12.5" tread and allot of tire shops will either frown on mounting that wide of tire on that skiny of a wheel, or they just wont do it. it can be done and has been done but that's between you and your tire shop....

ok so now onto your tire ridiculeing.....the stock tire is a BFG MUD TERRAIN and they do make a 35x12.5x17 tire. BUT your asking about a "BFG MTR" well MTR is a GOODYEAR tire and no they don't make a 35x12.5x17

maby that will help you out a little ??
Old 10-28-2006, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Stock tires/wheels

Sorry, I was referring to the BF Goodrich Mud Terrain, basically the tire that comes stock on the Rubicon. Maybe I was looking up the wrong thing when I searched on the MTR. Either way, you have answered my question to some degree. :p

So stock wheels are 7.5 inches wide. I wouldn’t try to force something onto a wheel that is too small for it. So, if I want to run 35” tires I need to find a new wheel as well as decide on which tire I want.

Well, I guess it will make the wife happy. She didn’t care of the stock wheels and wanted to swap the entire package anyway.

Thanks,
Beel
Old 10-28-2006, 10:59 PM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Beel_MT
So stock wheels are 7.5 inches wide. I wouldn’t try to force something onto a wheel that is too small for it. So, if I want to run 35” tires I need to find a new wheel as well as decide on which tire I want.
Yes, the 7.5" wheel width is a bit narrow but then, it's only 1/2" narrower than 8" which is pretty standard for off roading. But then, even with an 8" wheel, I have seen some shops giving crap about mounting a 12.50 tire on it. I guess what I'm trying to say is that you should be able to do it but the problem you really need to address is the amount of back spacing on the factory wheels. At 6.25", it's a bit too much for 12.50's and you will have rubbing issues. Needless to say, your best bet is to get new wheels that are 8" wide and have less backspacing.
Old 10-29-2006, 05:15 AM
JK Freak

oops, forgot to mentioin the wheel spacers....
Old 10-29-2006, 03:05 PM
JK Freak

yea I've been thinking about selling the stock stuff also.....oh yea not to nit pick your math but your gona need 5 wheels and tires not 4, so it will cost a little more than the gestimate mentioned above....I mean yea you could keep the stock wheel and tire for a spare but you'll prob end up just getting laughed at by others checkin out your nice new JK....LOL.....
Old 10-29-2006, 05:29 PM
JK Freak

yea those are prety good prices. yea I'm one of those who spent over 1000 for my 37" MTR's...LOL

so how much room is there between the calipers and the wheel with running 15" wheels ??

this is what I've ben going back and forth about stock wheels (with spacers of corse) or something black. if I go black wheels then I'm kinda a little partial to a bead lock style (fake lock that is...) please forgive my bad photo chopin skills...LOL...

Last edited by dhoffroad; 10-29-2006 at 06:00 PM.

Quick Reply: 35" Tires upgrade, stock wheels