Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" Tires Rubbing / Skid Light

Old 01-28-2009, 12:03 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" Tires Rubbing / Skid Light

I am getting what sounds like rubbing and the skid light on dashboard is coming on. It only seems to happen on hard turns on downward hills on-road. It "feels" like more than rubbing, more like the car is actually skidding across the pavement.

I just upgraded my 08 Unlimited to:
- Hankook 315 x 70R x 17
- XD Series Addict 17" Rims
- TeraFlex 3" lift
* Looks great BTW, just need to work this out...

I have checked for tire rubbing on suspension when the wheel is turned all the way, when parked. It has a solid two inches of clearance. It is possible that when it is on a downward hill that the Jeep sits lower, moving the suspension closer to the widest area on the tire, but I can't tell.

A friend mentioned that it might actually be skidding when tire is turned to far at an angle.. possible I guess, but I would think this was the case it would have done this before I had the lift... it didn't.

I have read that spacers might be a fix, if it is a backspacing issue.

Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:18 AM
JK Super Freak

A few questions to narrow the problem down:

1. Did you install adjustable trackbars or trackbar drop brackets to recenter the axles?

2. What's the backspacing on the wheels?

3. Do you still have that plastic peice underneath the front bumper?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:47 AM
JK Freak

i actually had the same problem when i had my 3' lift with 35x12.5s

What i did to some what fix the problem in the long run lol....

The rubbing (for me at least) was due to my tires rubbing my sway bar(gave the grinding scrubbing effect) and triggering my ESP or whatever and it was all kind of crazy. I put 2 more inches of lift on my jeep (only made it drive worse) and got some spydertrax 1.5 spacers...The spacers fixed the problem

On turns my jeep still has problems with my esp turing on but for the most part its nothing compared to how it was at first.

I would check your sway bar to see if there was any scuffs on it. thats what was my problem at least :P
Old 01-28-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

I just installed a 4" rough country and centering the steering correctly fixed all of thos problems
Old 01-28-2009, 06:00 AM
JK Super Freak

If the axle is centered properly using either an adjustable trackbar or trackbar brackets, the steering wheel is centered properly, the caster angle is set properly using adjustable control arms, the brake lines have been either extended or relocated using brackets, the backspacing on the wheels is more than 4.75", and the sway bar links have been extended, there shouldn't be a problem. You need to check that all of the above have been done/corrected.

3" of lift is enough to cause problems in every aspect of your steering, suspension and driveline, unless you address each of the above items.

Search the forums for issues and you'll find that most folks with 3"+ of lift have had these issues and have been corrected when the above items were addressed.

There are always exceptions, but we can address those once you've resolved everyting above.

Good luck.
Old 01-28-2009, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

I had the same problem when I went to BFG mud terrains. They were rubbing against the sway bar with extreme turns. (The tire that was toe in was rubbing the sway bar.) Somewhere in here is a link that shows how to adjust the steering stop. It takes 5 minutes and a few washers to fix. You will increase your turn radius a little, but it solves the problem.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:26 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nclehmann
A few questions to narrow the problem down:

1. Did you install adjustable trackbars or trackbar drop brackets to recenter the axles?

2. What's the backspacing on the wheels?

3. Do you still have that plastic peice underneath the front bumper?
Answers:
1. yes
2. I'll track this down, but my wheels come in ranges from 4.53 - 5.71, I'll have to check the actual model number of the wheels to confirm.
3. yes, the sort of "fake" plastic front skid plate.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Re-center your steering wheel again and again and again until it stops.

http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 01-28-2009, 04:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nclehmann
If the axle is centered properly using either an adjustable trackbar or trackbar brackets, the steering wheel is centered properly, the caster angle is set properly using adjustable control arms, the brake lines have been either extended or relocated using brackets, the backspacing on the wheels is more than 4.75", and the sway bar links have been extended, there shouldn't be a problem. You need to check that all of the above have been done/corrected.

3" of lift is enough to cause problems in every aspect of your steering, suspension and driveline, unless you address each of the above items.

Search the forums for issues and you'll find that most folks with 3"+ of lift have had these issues and have been corrected when the above items were addressed.

There are always exceptions, but we can address those once you've resolved everyting above.

Good luck.
This is great! I am going through this check list over the weekend.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by kbaker
I am getting what sounds like rubbing and the skid light on dashboard is coming on. It only seems to happen on hard turns on downward hills on-road. It "feels" like more than rubbing, more like the car is actually skidding across the pavement.

I just upgraded my 08 Unlimited to:
- Hankook 315 x 70R x 17
- XD Series Addict 17" Rims
- TeraFlex 3" lift
* Looks great BTW, just need to work this out...

I have checked for tire rubbing on suspension when the wheel is turned all the way, when parked. It has a solid two inches of clearance. It is possible that when it is on a downward hill that the Jeep sits lower, moving the suspension closer to the widest area on the tire, but I can't tell.

A friend mentioned that it might actually be skidding when tire is turned to far at an angle.. possible I guess, but I would think this was the case it would have done this before I had the lift... it didn't.

I have read that spacers might be a fix, if it is a backspacing issue.

Any ideas?
Adjust your draglink so the steering wheel is centered,spacers wont fix the esp/abs problem

Quick Reply: 35" Tires Rubbing / Skid Light