Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" tires that are really 35"

Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" tires that are really 35"

Can you guys measure your 35" tires and give the true measurements and brand. I want a true 35" tire. I measured my factory Sahara tires which should be 32" and they meaure in at 31". Going to pick up a set tis weekend and don't wanna come up on the short end. Thanks!

Last edited by SH0RTBUS; 03-12-2008 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:01 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Nittos are pretty damn close.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

When i got my Sahara Jan of last year i measured them a couple days after i got it and they measured out exactly 32". I have the Nito TeraGraplers now and they measure out at 34.6", The actual tire size is 325/65R18. I have the factory wheels and had a rubbing problem on the back side of the rear tires when i was just driving. There was about an 1/8th" clearance so i got some 1/2" spacers. If you want to check out tire sizes look on 4WHEELPARTS.com. On their tire page, almost every tire you can select gives you the "Tire Size" and the "Actual Size". I was the same way. I wanted 35's and i meant 35'S!!!!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Sigh....newbies.

35's are a nominal size...so some are larger/smaller than that...but...no one here will do an accurate job of measuring them on their truck.

And, there's a concept called loaded radius...IE: The tread is flattened on the side against the ground....so, one side of the side wall is shorter (The one towards the ground)....that's normal.

When they label a tire as ANY diameter...that's OFF the jeep, fully inflated, not supporting any weight.

If I measure a tire on my rig...my psi, the temperature, how much gas is in the tank and what tools and spare parts are inside, etc....are ALL going to change the loaded radius.

If you really want a tire that's 35" on the truck, you might need to BUY a 36" tire, etc...to get it...as once mounted, the tread flattens onto the ground every time.

And, when you air down to off road, guess what? Yeah, they get even shorter....you'd need 35" RIMS at that point.

Also - remember - things are relative...if you have a lift that clears 35's...they mean nominal 35's...not tires that are 35" holding up the truck, etc...

Anyway - think about it beofe going nuts.

BTW - SOME tires are listed WITH their static loaded radius...so, you COULD make a guess as to the size ON the truck...but, its still a guess, as the published numbers are for a particular rim size, pressure, and load....and probably NOT yours.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Tire Size

your 31 Inch Measurment Is With Weight On Them .. I Believe That Thell Be 32 When They Are Off..
Old 03-14-2008, 07:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

bfg krawlers are more than 35 with the jeep siting on them.
Old 03-14-2008, 08:08 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

As stated above your tires overall diameter will change when under load. If you are looking for the measured dimension of your tire instead of the size stated on the side of your tire go to the tire manufactures website. i.e. www.nitto.com. Most Tire manufactures have spec sheets on their sites that tell you the actual measured height and width. Their measurements should, at least, be consistent for the tires each makes.

Quick Reply: 35" tires that are really 35"