Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" Tires with minimal lift

Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" Tires with minimal lift

OK, so I will need new tires within the next few months...running the stock tires that came on my Rubi. I have put on 2" spacers (levelling kit). If I were to put 35" tires and flat fender flares, could I run 35" tires....not just on the DD but wheel em!?

I am increasingly more concerned about too much lift and messing too much with the suspension. I like my ride as is and do not want to mess that up. If I can't run 35" tires this way, I may just opt with the 33" tires. I have armored up pretty well and wonder if 33's would be a solid compromise...more off road worthiness, but no huge performance sacrifice. I would really appreciate some comments here!
Old 06-01-2011, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you gonna have sway bar disconnects? You can run 35s with your current setup but if you want more flex then you should have quick disconnects then you're gonna want about another inch of room for flexing with 35's.

I have 33s with a 3 inch BDS suspension lift with quick discos. When I upgrade to 35s I will either add 1" body spacer or flat fendors or both. However I think I'm gonna run the XRC armor fenders and corner gaurds and a stubby bumper which will be enough.

Remember its not so much what you can do but what you should do.
Here's kind of a guide line for tires and lifts while running sway bar disconnects

33" tires - 1.5" to 3" of lift
35" tires - 3.5" +
37" tires - 4.5" +

Keep in mind these are general guidelines. Changing fenders and front bumper can bump you up a tire size and still allow you to flex without rubbing.

Also keep in mind if you at anytime rub, there is always something you can do to fix the problem.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just asked this the other day, well sorta the same, and plannman helped me out. I was looking to run a 1" body lift, flat flares and 35's.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-Lift-and-35-s

From what he said a 2" kit will be plenty of room.
Old 06-01-2011, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

I saw In one of the 4wd mags they had a stock jk with 35s with no problem they made a stubby bumper and flat fender
Old 06-02-2011, 02:41 AM
JK Freak

So why would I sleeve the axle? I thought the D44 could handle 35's? I know a guy with a Sahara and a 4" lift and 35's and he is constantly overheating...is that related? As to the 33's...if I got real 33's and not 295's, wouldn't that be an improvement over what came stock on the Rubi? I know the Rubi is supposed to have 32's, but do they really measure 32"? Again, just batting all this around....thanks for the info...dig it!
Old 06-02-2011, 02:55 AM
JK Newbie

I have a 2.5" skyjacker kit fitted to my JKU and I'm running 315/70R17 on stock rims with no spacers and it rubs the sway bar on full lock slightly other wise it articulates well and drives well. I have a diesel auto in Aus with front Dana 30. So far so good.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even with 4.5" of lift (RE), I was rubbing my 35's in the back, when disconnected and fully stuffed, until I installed a set of TF upper rear bumpstops. The front tires will still rub sometimes, but only because I've got the ARB bumper and there is a support piece that the front of the tire comes in contact with slightly.

With the setup you are talking about, you will rub 35's if you disconnect and really start flexing. Keeping center of gravity low is a good thing and bump stops are your friend.

Consider a set of 285/75/17's (34x11) or 285/70/17's (33x11). Also keep in mind that if you go to 35's you may eventually have to regear to get the performance you want on the trail.

Good luck!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

Does anyone have a pic of bumpstop and an explanation of exactly what it does? What is on their stock? Where to get them and what they cost? Thanks!
Old 06-03-2011, 09:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiDude
Does anyone have a pic of bumpstop and an explanation of exactly what it does? What is on their stock? Where to get them and what they cost? Thanks!
Straight from the Faqs. Teraflex, JKS and others make them.

Q: Do I need to install bump stop extensions?
A: Yes. Bump stop extensions are designed to prevent the over compression of your coils and are absolutely necessary. Bump stop extensions can also help prevent the rubbing of fender flares at a full stuff as well as the bottoming out of shocks.

Q: What size bump stop extensions should I install with my lift?
A: Typically, you'll want bump stop extensions that are approximately as tall as the lift you just installed on your Jeep. In other words, if you lift your jeep 2", you'll want bump stop extensions that are about 2" tall. Now, I do say 'typically' as this is just a guide to follow and not necessarily a rule. Depending on the actual height of the coil, thickness of the wire used and the amount of winds it has, the rules can change.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:04 PM
JK Junkie

I have 35's on a 2.5" bb. I have stock fenders and quick discos. It fits perfect. No body lift.

Quick Reply: 35" Tires with minimal lift