Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" tires with 3.73 gears

Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine has no problems, up hill might switch to 5th every once in a while. It is nothing unbearable like people made it out to be at first.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:34 PM
JK Enthusiast

running auto with 35s and its fine for me..... its a jeep not a camaro! Can new gears get me a little better mpg and close to stock performance? Yes they can but its a lot of money for that and while im doing it i should also install lockers which is more money! Im driving 120 miles a day with this truck on sometimes a decent grade highway with no ill effects. You can turn od off but your mpg with go down even further just to get a little extra punch from the higher rpms. Drive it with the 35s and see how you like it. some can deal and others cant.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Been running my 35's with 3.73's and auto for over 3 years now. As stated above...turn OD off except on the highway with descent and it's livable. I live in Colorado and drive on the mountain roads as well and I've survived this long. Sure, i'd love to regear to some 5.13's but can't seem to convince the wife of the necessity

So, get the 35's and have fun with them. If you hate it...start saving for gears and go from there. I don't regret getting the 35's before gears at all...can't have everything.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:47 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Around town and unloaded you will be fine. But if you travel loaded down with suitcases and crap like when I drove from Missouri to Washington State, I got bogged down really bad on the highway. On some uphill stretches it was hard maintining 55 mph with that combination loaded down. It required a lot of downshifting. That's why I am sticking with lighter 33's and alloy rims for now to keep my 3.73 geared Auto 2011 closer to stock.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:38 PM
JK Freak

This forum is great and the info I have learned has been new than useful. However, you need to drive some with the setup you want and make a determination on what you want. I have the 4.10's and rode on my 35's for a couple of weeks before getting the SuperChips...for me this is back to stock...maybe even better. On the highway I step 70 way quicker than before. I have always driven my Jeep like it was a Jeep and never expected nail me in my seat power. Off-road it still does great...no worries. Again, all depends what you want out of your jeep.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Newbie

Which setting did you use on your Superchip?
Old 09-26-2011, 07:13 PM
JK Freak

evaluate your driving habits and have a really good idea on the overall type of driving you do.

before regearing, my auto with 4.10's and 35's ran most the time in 3rd to keep rpms in powerband. my mileage avg. 14 around town.

on freeway i stayed on 3rd unless pretty flat then would use OD - avg around 17mpg, made use of cruise control as much as possible.

additional mods - CAI, Performance Distributor, SuperChips 91 tune (gave better cost/mile than 87 tune)

OD on freeways not bad but I kept a watch on RPMS, if they drop too low I'd kick OD off.

Last edited by jeeeep; 09-26-2011 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
I'm running that now in my auto until I can afford new gears. My Superchips Flashpaq definitely helped retuned to get some performance back.
x2 Superchip helps a little for sure.
I have a 4dr auto 35's 3" lift etc.... I run it on 87 tune..... a year later I finally regeared to 5.13's
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-12084203.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	216024  
Old 09-26-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

35's w/3.73 Auto is my daily driver. I travel 400 miles every weekend for work. Superchips definitely helps with the shift points and added power.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:28 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by RubiDude
This forum is great and the info I have learned has been new than useful. However, you need to drive some with the setup you want and make a determination on what you want. I have the 4.10's and rode on my 35's for a couple of weeks before getting the SuperChips...for me this is back to stock...maybe even better. On the highway I step 70 way quicker than before. I have always driven my Jeep like it was a Jeep and never expected nail me in my seat power. Off-road it still does great...no worries. Again, all depends what you want out of your jeep.
Which setting did you use on your Superchip?

Quick Reply: 35" tires with 3.73 gears