Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35'' tire on stock carrier

Old 12-14-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr.ZAP
Don't wanna hijack but how do you guys feel about running 35s with a 33 inch spare??? I know that my Toyo's are really about 33.5 inches and the 35s are really 34.8 inches, so if I ever had a blow out or a bad rip or whatever, would this be safe???
well if its a short term ride with one tire difference it should be fine, but changing should be all the same as soon as possible. as for a blowout, it should be like if any other tire on any ride would blow out, freaky but painless
Old 12-14-2009, 04:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Hkx3
35 on 17x9 wheels, 4.5 BS, no problems whatsoever.

No cracks, no sagging, nothing. Also my tire sits on the bumper now, so undoubtedly that helps.

I have wheeled with it like this, not a peep from the gate or mount.
X2, I ran like that for a year, several times off-road and no problems
Old 12-15-2009, 09:31 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wranglerxnewbie
I have just installed my new 35's on stock 17'' rims. i also just ordered a extension bracket from northridge 4x4 to allow me to put the spare on the stock carrier. this is a temporary fix until i can afford a new bumper with tire carrier. are there any problems with running a 35 on stock carrier ie. tail gate sagging, carrier falling off. i know it sounds funny, but this new spare weighs a ton. let me know.
maybe one tailgate is stronger than others ??

For a few weeks, I recently ran a 35" MTZ spare on an extension bracket on the stock tailgate - bad idea. The tailgate creaked and made a echoing noise on every road bump, let alone any off-road.

This is my daily driver so before any tailgate damage, I took the spare off, now carry a plug kit, and will soon be ordering a real rear bumper with tire carrier.

Maybe your tailgate will be ok, but doubt it....
Old 12-15-2009, 12:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have had my 35 KM2 spare on for almost a couple years and have had no issues. Plenty of hard use includeded.
Old 12-19-2009, 02:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr.ZAP
Don't wanna hijack but how do you guys feel about running 35s with a 33 inch spare??? I know that my Toyo's are really about 33.5 inches and the 35s are really 34.8 inches, so if I ever had a blow out or a bad rip or whatever, would this be safe???
you should be ok like that for a short distance (remember the tiny donut spares for 80s cars), but i have seen many people start running 35x12.50's on the ground and putting a 35x10.50 on the tailgate, and that seems to work without tailgate sagging. using a narrower 10.50 tires for a spare seems to be a more economical solution and you still have a "matched" set so it aesthetically pleasing as well.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

If you have different diameter tires on a drive axle it can be an issue when the smaller tire goes faster, and gets all the torque, so you have only the little tire propelling you the entire time.

If you have a locker on it, both tires get the same rotation speed, but one is going further (The bigger one), which turns you towards the little one.

On off camber situations, etc, this can shift your line constantly as the rig tries to essentially steer towards the smaller tire's side.

If you set the air'd-down diameters to match, you can compensate for this effect by making the FINAL diameters equal.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Popping, sagging and anything else you could think of with mine. At first, it was fine. Then after I went wheeling in it a couple of times, it got worse and worse. Get a rear bumper with swing arm, it is definately worth it. Or, dont carry a spare until you do.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:58 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A simple way to decide is to remove your spare and inspect closely how the spare mounts on the tailgate, how the tailgate is constructed and how strong the hinges are. On mine the door has a preload upwards, so when I remove the spare the I have to push down and in to close it. All of the parts are quite flimsy.

The stock spare weighs about 60-70 lbs and depending on your new wheel and tire combo, so go up as high as 110 lbs with a longer moment arm because larger tires need to stick out further.

It's your call if you think the tailgate can handle the extra static and dynamic loads.

What ever you make sure the tire doesn't bounce on the tailgate by installing longer bump stops such as the Daystar units.

Quick Reply: 35'' tire on stock carrier