Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35'' tire on stock carrier

Old 12-13-2009, 07:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35'' tire on stock carrier

I have just installed my new 35's on stock 17'' rims. i also just ordered a extension bracket from northridge 4x4 to allow me to put the spare on the stock carrier. this is a temporary fix until i can afford a new bumper with tire carrier. are there any problems with running a 35 on stock carrier ie. tail gate sagging, carrier falling off. i know it sounds funny, but this new spare weighs a ton. let me know.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:43 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You'll find quite a few threads on this if you search a bit. Yes, people have had problems with it. Will you? No idea. Seems to be that for mostly street driving, it should last until you get a carrier. If you spend a majority of your time bouncing around offroad, you are much more likely to damage the tailgate. Just depends...
Old 12-13-2009, 07:47 PM
JK Freak

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...t=tailgate+sag
Old 12-13-2009, 07:48 PM
cfr
JK Freak

Originally Posted by wranglerxnewbie
I have just installed my new 35's on stock 17'' rims. i also just ordered a extension bracket from northridge 4x4 to allow me to put the spare on the stock carrier. this is a temporary fix until i can afford a new bumper with tire carrier. are there any problems with running a 35 on stock carrier ie. tail gate sagging, carrier falling off. i know it sounds funny, but this new spare weighs a ton. let me know.
I just did the same with the Teraflex spare spacer. You'll also need the Daystar tailgate bumpstops to replace the stock ones. I picked mine up at my local 4wheelparts.com who had them in stock. You can get them lots of places, but here's a quick link from a sponsor,

http://www.quadratec.com/products/16053_520.htm

Don't trim them, but wedge them between the tire and gate real tight.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:53 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, be careful..I ran my 35 (which is also 13.5 width fyi) on my stock carrier with an extension for a few months and it rattled horribly and I have since taken it off and saving for a tire carrier. when/if you go offroad def take it off and throw it in the back, it wont last for sure if you wheel with it on and it will warp your tailgate over time. and say goodbye to any vision out your rear window as well! good luck!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

I also ran my 35 on my stock gate. Did fine.
I didnt need an extension.
Ran mine for about a year before I got the rear bumper carrier.
Old 12-14-2009, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

ive heard that a 35" on a stock carrier is good for short term, but in the long run it will cause problems. a simple cheaper way to avoid is the one from smittybuilt, its about $100 and its a lot better then the stock jeep
Old 12-14-2009, 12:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Beef
ive heard that a 35" on a stock carrier is good for short term, but in the long run it will cause problems. a simple cheaper way to avoid is the one from smittybuilt, its about $100 and its a lot better then the stock jeep
Do you have a link? I do not see a tire carrier for 100 on their site. But I could be blind...
Old 12-14-2009, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

i found it on 4WD.com and then i looked from there. i know 4WD has a sale now with free shipping too, plus you might be able to haggle it down a bit.

Link: http://www.4wd.com/productdetails.aspx?partID=45001

and heres how it looks on my jeep

Old 12-14-2009, 12:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't wanna hijack but how do you guys feel about running 35s with a 33 inch spare??? I know that my Toyo's are really about 33.5 inches and the 35s are really 34.8 inches, so if I ever had a blow out or a bad rip or whatever, would this be safe???

Quick Reply: 35'' tire on stock carrier