Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" on stock tire carrier

Old 05-09-2011, 07:19 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No help from me but I don't even trust the stock 18inch wheel with the 32 on the tailgate
Old 06-28-2011, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rear tailgate is holding up great with a 35" trail grappler on it.
Old 06-28-2011, 08:08 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run a 35 on the stock gate for two years now.

The spots welds look alright, and there's no warping or denting of the gate, but the country roads i drive everyday have taken a toll on the gate. You can hear the slight rattle when jarring over hard bumps and pot holes, but it's not bad. I want to do something about it soon just to take the weight off of the gate and carrier itself. I took off my spare tire the other day to paint the wheel and my antenna bracket, and when i opened and closed the gate without the tire on it, the gate was effortlessly opened and closed. It just makes you realize how much weight is there 24/7. Plus i checked the tire carrier bolts and you could tighten every one of them a half a turn or more. The weight lossens up the carrier after a while. So keep an eye on that as well.

As long as a carrier or idea is somewhere on your list, i wouldn't worry..
Old 09-06-2011, 05:56 PM
JK Newbie

The 35 inch tire anc stock wheel is only 10pound than the stock set up.mine is holding up just fine.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've heard the horror stories of the tailgate warping so I went ahead and knocked out the OEM welds and installed the Off Camber Fabrications spare tire reinforcement kit. Was pretty easy, having narrow hands, or access to them (my GF is Korean) definitely helps. I also put a relocation bracket on because of the way the tire was sitting on my bumper. It covers part of the third light but meh.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

I just looked at the part u installed and I think I might get myself one
Old 09-06-2011, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Any other ideas on how to extend tailgate bumpstop without buying daystar extended bumpstop to keep tire snugged?
Old 09-06-2011, 06:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by smellytuna
Any other ideas on how to extend tailgate bumpstop without buying daystar extended bumpstop to keep tire snugged?
My rims have a 5" BS so with the 295/70R18 tire on that rim it does not fit (can't start the bottom lug nut, just the top two) IF the spare is aired up completely; however, if you drop the tire pressure down to 10 psi then it does fit plus the bottom of the tire rests on the top of the rear bumper cutout. The 10 psi doesn't botter me because I have an onboard air compressor if needed. Anyway, it works just fine!

And, it doesn't touch the bumpstops but you literally can't make that tire move, I've tried really hard to shake it - no movement.

Quick Reply: 35" on stock tire carrier