Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35 on stock spare tire carrier

Old 03-01-2013, 07:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 35" Duratracs (16" rim) is on my stock carrier with no adapters. The tire ever so slightly rests on the bumper but not so much that you feel it dragging when you open the tailgate. I'll be extending the isolaters this weekend as added security. It seems secure enough that an upgraded tire carrier is not on my top 5 list. Our roads are sh!t so it may start to move up the list over the next year though.
Old 03-01-2013, 07:49 AM
JK Freak

I have a 35" KM2 with a 17" wheel and it's on the stock carrier. Been that way for 2 1/2 years with no issues at all. I wheel a lot too... problems at all.
Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A forum search for "popped tailgate welds" will show a number with similar to mine below. It took just a couple of weeks for the welds to break - the damage isn't disasterous but further use of 35 on the stock tailgate would only tear-up the tailgate further.

The ONLY answer to running a spare 35" or larger on the tailgate is NOT to. If you must, run without a spare until can afford an integrated rear bumper with tire carrier, new or used. I carried an air compressor and tire plug kit while saving and waiting.

The tailgate has 15 spot welds running horizontal left to right 2 inches from the top, and 5 running vertically near the center. Within a couple weeks the 5 vertical spot welds popped, detatching the inner tailgate skin from the outer skin. The center three spot welds are now detached and recessed over 1mm, implying the additional spare tire weight pulled the outer skin out 1mm+. Some others had the horizontal welds pop, mine were just the vertical spot welds.

Old 03-01-2013, 12:40 PM
JK Freak

Do we know if these popped welds are linked to only one specific year or 2 door or 4 door? I chekced my welds and I don't see any issues. Maybe it's from mis-use? Or maybe I am the lucky one? LOL
Old 03-01-2013, 12:54 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by G520
Do we know if these popped welds are linked to only one specific year or 2 door or 4 door? I chekced my welds and I don't see any issues. Maybe it's from mis-use? Or maybe I am the lucky one? LOL
What year is yours? (on phone so don't se a sig.)
Old 03-01-2013, 01:35 PM
JK Newbie

I have 17" ATX artillery wheels w/35" goodyear duratracks on my stock carrier for the last 9 months....I have no issues yet, but I will be buying a smittybuilt src rear bumper w/carrier in the next 3 months.
Old 03-01-2013, 01:40 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had my 35 mud grapplers on mine for about 6 months with no issues, but it was a relief to get a tire carrier
Old 03-01-2013, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
What year is yours? (on phone so don't se a sig.)
It's a 2010.
Old 03-01-2013, 02:13 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Staytru06
I do as a short term solution. It's not recommend but if you do do it garb some extended bump stops, or make your own as I did and make sure everything is snug. If you go off roading make sure you throw the spare in the back of the jeep.
You mind sharing how you made your own extended stops? I've searched and called a few places, no one seems to have them.

Thanks
Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Daystar makes an extended bump stop. Or you could get a piece of heater hose and cut it to fit in the old bump stop.

Quick Reply: 35 on stock spare tire carrier