Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" on stock Moabs: spare.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:43 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" on stock Moabs: spare.

Bout to pull the trigger on some Duratrac 35's (315/70-17). I am going to rattle can the stock moabs for now and use 1.5" spacers for clearance along with a TF 2.5 coil lift or BB (still not sure on which I want).

The question is, can I just mount the spare on the stock rim and install it on the stock carrier? I have been looking at the after market stuff for carriers and they are expensive. The cheapest thing I saw period was $250...can I just run on the stock carrier for now and upgrade later? And lastly will the tire even fit or do I need to do anything to it? I'd hate to spend all this money and time installing just to find out I can't ride with the spare...severe suckitude.

Thanks!
Old 02-21-2011, 04:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There are lots of variables here. First off, the weight of a 35" on stock carrier is not a permanent option, but can work in the short run.

Second, you will need to space the tire away from the tailgate on a stock wheel. Maybe a carrier spacer or an extra wheel spacer, but you'll need something.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just mounted mine up. Nitto Trail Grapplers 35x12.5r18'. I ordered a spacer mount that moves the tire out 2 inches and some lug nut led 3rd brake lights. I installed everything and it worked well.

Yesterday i installed my Brawler Rear bumper (no tire carrier) The cut out for the tire is deeper. I was able to remove the 2 inch spacer and just mount my spare on the stock carrier. All I needed was to cut off the original 3rd brake light bracket. Everything fits real tight and rattle free. The spare actually rides up a little on the rear bumper and will support the tire. I'll have a little rub on the bumper finish, but easy to touch up. Ill ride with this until I can get the $ saved up for an ORFAB carrier.

Ill post up some picture later if you want.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

What if you have 35x12.50r17 tires with new wheels with 4.5" backspacing.. Will one of the these spare tire adaptors be necessary? Or will they fit and you can just cut the rubber stops? Or is it more of an issue fitting above the indent in the bumper?

Quick Reply: 35" on stock Moabs: spare.