Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" and standard components

Old 01-24-2009, 02:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" and standard components

Sorry for the newbie question, but I can't find the info. I want to use 35" and a small lift, on a 2d X - auto with standard engine, aftermarket front bumper with winch, and rear bumper with tire carrier. How could I accomplish that without change driveline components? Is that possible? I was looking for Rancho sport 4" or TF 2.5", but I do not know how they will behave with the bumpers installed. What do you guys, with all your hands-on experience, can say about that? Very thanks for any advice!
Old 01-24-2009, 02:51 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TF2.5" coil lift will let you run 35" tires. If you use the stock wheels you will need a quality set of spacers, if you get aftermarket wheels make sure you have 4.5" backspace. As for the winch and bumpers should be fine, I have a winch and bumper up front and stock bumper out back with no issues. If you do find yourself sagging a bit you could always use some 1" coil spacers or upgrade to 3" coils.
Old 01-24-2009, 03:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 09rubicon
TF2.5" coil lift will let you run 35" tires. If you use the stock wheels you will need a quality set of spacers, if you get aftermarket wheels make sure you have 4.5" backspace. As for the winch and bumpers should be fine, I have a winch and bumper up front and stock bumper out back with no issues. If you do find yourself sagging a bit you could always use some 1" coil spacers or upgrade to 3" coils.
Very thanks 09rubicon. On many posts I can read that using 3" lift results in driveline problems... so, I was thinking on what the lift the X can go until the need to change (a lot) of components.. Also, the Rancho 4" do not comes with break lines etc..
Old 01-24-2009, 03:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just so you know the TF 2.5" will actually yield about 3" of lift on a 2dr. But with your additions of bumpers and winch you shouldnt have any drivleine problems. I have the same lift on my 2dr (manual tranny) and am not having any driveshaft issues.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Zilon,

I am running the Teraflex 2.5 Coil lift with shocks and 35's. As you can see from the pics I am running aftermarket front bumper with winch and rear bumper/tire carrier. I have had 0 problems with this setup. I have only rubbed the fenders a couple of times but just enough to hear it. I have not even been able to see where the tire rubbed. No problems with the drivetrain either.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:46 AM
JK Junkie

If you want to stay away from driveline components and clear 35's without rubbing, a 2" coil lift and a one 1" body lift would be a good way to roll. Keeps your center of gravity lower and avoids the pitfalls of driveshaft issues on a 2 door.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Zilon X
Sorry for the newbie question, but I can't find the info. I want to use 35" and a small lift, on a 2d X - auto with standard engine, aftermarket front bumper with winch, and rear bumper with tire carrier. How could I accomplish that without change driveline components? Is that possible? I was looking for Rancho sport 4" or TF 2.5", but I do not know how they will behave with the bumpers installed. What do you guys, with all your hands-on experience, can say about that? Very thanks for any advice!
You would want to keep the suspension lift under 3" for a 2-door. If you have more lift than that, you will need longer driveshafts, because the angle of the stock driveshafts would be so great it could bind and self-destruct. Most of us that are running 35's on 2-3" of lift had some rubbing issues that can be fixed with bumpstop extensions and/or a body lift like another person mentioned.

If you have an '08 or an '09, you have 3.73 gearing and the Jeep may be a little sluggish. It is up to you and what your driving style is to go with 35's. I have the 6-speed and it feels decent. The automatic will be hunting for gears more with the larger tires.

This was my old Jeep with Rusty's 2" coils, .75" spacers in front and 35's:

Last edited by armycop; 01-24-2009 at 05:00 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:04 AM
JK Freak

Just to give you another option the Rough Country 2.5" coil lift will give you pretty much the same results others have mentioned with the Teraflex lift on a 2 door. As for the 4 door, I am not sure if either companies make different coils for the 4 door, but I don't think so. Drive line angles will not be an issue with the 4 door and in general would be less of a problem for you anyway since your shafts are already longer and have less of an angle on them at stock height.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:42 AM
JK Junkie

Same spring sets 2 and 4 door. Auto transmission at 3" lift need front drive shaft, regardless of 2 or 4 door.

The reason I posted the 1" body lift and 2" spring set is that it gives the most clearance for 35s with no driveline alterations. Nothing extra outside of an adjustable front track bar and 2" bump stops. Price tag of around a grand.
Old 01-24-2009, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Is the drive line problem only a 2dr? Or will you have he same issue on a 4dr jk with a 3 or 4 inch lift? If so what types of problems and how is best to fix it?

Last edited by dcjackson3; 01-24-2009 at 11:16 AM.

Quick Reply: 35" and standard components