Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" spare tire on stock carrier and bumper?

Old 08-12-2010, 05:14 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Depends on how you space it off. Mine is tight against the jeep and also rests on the stock rear bumper. Over a year, heavy off roading, zero problems have risen with my gate. I can't stand how high and far the aftermarket adapters place the tire, that is a recipe for disaster. Too much leverage on the carrier!
I'm looking for a spare tire spacer that helps making the 35 tire rests on the stock bumber. what is the name of the one you have?
Old 09-21-2010, 02:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Phoenix Lives

I'm bringing this one up out of the ashes. I will soon be getting my new wheels and tires. I knew the bigger tire might create some issues on the stock spare carrier. After reading this thread I'm not sure which choice to make. Some guys mount BA tires on their stock carrier, then wheel their rigs hard and never have any problems. Others do it and the weld nuts in the gate fail. It seems like the weld nuts are pretty much a hit or miss on being strong enough. With no resolution in sight beyond dropping a cool $G on a bumper with swing-out carrier, I have two questions that I want to toss up for discussion:
  1. Has anybody ever experienced a more catastrophic gate or gate hinge failure as a result of carrying a bigger tire on the stock carrier?
  2. I seem to recall that there was a spare support that secured into hitch receiver. I cannot find one online anywhere though. Does anybody remember something like that?
Thanks y'all!
Old 09-21-2010, 04:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have mine resting on the tow hook and it has been through quite a bit of off road time.

I welded a post from the tow hook with a rounded pad on top to support the bouncing weight of the 35" tire.

Last edited by Rub61; 09-21-2010 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hook-Em
I'm bringing this one up out of the ashes. I will soon be getting my new wheels and tires. I knew the bigger tire might create some issues on the stock spare carrier. After reading this thread I'm not sure which choice to make. Some guys mount BA tires on their stock carrier, then wheel their rigs hard and never have any problems. Others do it and the weld nuts in the gate fail. It seems like the weld nuts are pretty much a hit or miss on being strong enough. With no resolution in sight beyond dropping a cool $G on a bumper with swing-out carrier, I have two questions that I want to toss up for discussion:
  1. Has anybody ever experienced a more catastrophic gate or gate hinge failure as a result of carrying a bigger tire on the stock carrier?
  2. I seem to recall that there was a spare support that secured into hitch receiver. I cannot find one online anywhere though. Does anybody remember something like that?
Thanks y'all!

I run a 37" Wrangler MT/R w/Kevlar on an XD Addict on my stock carrier. I have a MBRP extender bracket that pushes it up to clearance the bumper and the MBRP reinforcement kit to spread the load. I didn't trust the welded nuts....I figure, if one fails, that's more stress on the others....then another fails...you get the picture. As far as brake light goes, I chopped, extended, then fiber glassed the stock one, then painted it. Looks stock and keeps me legal. I'll do a write-up on it in a couple of days. I ran a 35 on my TJ stock carrier for 6 years with no problem and have been running a 37 on my JK carrier for about 6 months now. Personally, I think the question is more so how much do you bomb the rear end? If it's a lot, and hard, stock carriers might be a risk. If you're softer on it and you pay attention to not letting the gate slam all the way open or let the gate sit open for hours on end (hinges), then you should be fine.
Old 09-21-2010, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ZBoater
35s will fit fine. You will need the Daystar bumpstops to replace the stock ones. The brake light will barely peek above the tire. Assuming your wheels have enough backspace it will fit fine.
thanks , I was wondering who made bump stop Just ordered a set.

Last edited by Enzo; 09-21-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: incomplete
Old 11-28-2010, 08:30 PM
JK Newbie

so does this "reinforcement system" require like in-depth work?? or is it just bolt on/in?

Thanks a ton
Old 11-28-2010, 08:33 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've had my 35 on the back for almost a year, no problems yet.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:21 AM
JK Super Freak

Default HyLine OffRoad Oversized Spare Tire Adaptor Bracket

Has anyone used this and does it hold up?

w.quadratec.com/products/22202_8010.htm

Quick Reply: 35" spare tire on stock carrier and bumper?