Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" spare tire on stock carrier and bumper?

Old 06-22-2010, 04:13 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rubi61 do you have any pictures of your setup. I have been waiting over 2 months for the Smittybuilt carrier from 4wd, I am about ready to do something else because my stock rime with a 35 wont fit and i dont like driving with out a spare.

Originally Posted by Rub61
I use the stock carrier for my 35 spare but I have installed the Daystar spacers and fabricated a support skid off of the hook in my hitch reciever. When the door closes the tire slightly rides up on the support relieving some of the load the oversize tire creates. Have offroaded heavily last winter and the door is holding up fine so far.
Old 06-22-2010, 04:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jmow01
Yeah the spot welds were a pain to get free... You just have to put a little elbow grease into it and a little bit of care not to bust the bolt they supply to do it. If you end up getting the kit I recommend picking up a grade 8 bolt of the same size to break the welds.
I couldn't break the welds either. That carrier ain't going nowhere with a 35.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:12 AM
JK Freak

After driving a few months with my 35 spare on the stock carrier with the Daystar kit. MY SPOT WELDS GOT DESTROYED.

Driving down the road any bump i hit i would here a clicking. If i look at the inside of my tailgate you can see all of them pulled off and cracked, some ever started rusting after the broke.

35 on spare tire carrier is a bad deal.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hyatt147
After driving a few months with my 35 spare on the stock carrier with the Daystar kit. MY SPOT WELDS GOT DESTROYED.

Driving down the road any bump i hit i would here a clicking. If i look at the inside of my tailgate you can see all of them pulled off and cracked, some ever started rusting after the broke.

Depends on how you space it off. Mine is tight against the jeep and also rests on the stock rear bumper. Over a year, heavy off roading, zero problems have risen with my gate. I can't stand how high and far the aftermarket adapters place the tire, that is a recipe for disaster. Too much leverage on the carrier!
Old 06-22-2010, 08:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well, that is good news for me, since I was unable to get those nuts off. Perhaps after a few months of driving with the stock carrier I'll try installing the MBRP reinforcement kit again.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
Depends on how you space it off. Mine is tight against the jeep and also rests on the stock rear bumper. Over a year, heavy off roading, zero problems have risen with my gate. I can't stand how high and far the aftermarket adapters place the tire, that is a recipe for disaster. Too much leverage on the carrier!
im not using any brackets for relocation. its directly on the carrier pressed up agains the Daystar extended rubber things, call them what you want.....haha
Old 06-22-2010, 08:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

...its directly on the carrier pressed up agains the Daystar extended rubber things, call them what you want.....haha
Tailgate bump stops.

Old 06-22-2010, 09:17 AM
bkw
JK Freak

Originally Posted by johnyrrr
Rubi61 do you have any pictures of your setup. I have been waiting over 2 months for the Smittybuilt carrier from 4wd, I am about ready to do something else because my stock rime with a 35 wont fit and i dont like driving with out a spare.
Bryan has them back in stock. I ordered mine on Friday and got it last Wednesday. Great bang for the buck.

I ran a 35 on a 5" backspaced 16x8 wheel that rested perfectly on the bumper. I thought I'd be fine since the bumper took a large portion of the weight off the gate. Well a year later I first noticed it clicking, which became thunks, saw that the top line of the gate was about 1/4-1/2" below the body, and I was having to lift the gate to get it to latch correctly.

$700 for the XRC is a bargain for peace of mind and not huge issues later on.

Last edited by bkw; 06-22-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:33 AM
JK Newbie

The Expidition One lift barcket looks like what im looking for and I just ordered it and cancelled my order for the Smittybuilt thats been backorderd for 2 months. Time will tell. I am going to try and rig up my trailerhitch to soak up some of the Spares wieght since I dont use my hitch too much. I cant wait to get my spare on, i just like the look better with the spare on.
Old 06-22-2010, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

I'm just gonna throw a spare tire cover over my stock rubi wheel and tire and go on.

Quick Reply: 35" spare tire on stock carrier and bumper?