Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" Spare Tire mount

Old 01-08-2011, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wallsofcrete
I have the KM2s 35x12.50 and have a More 1inch body lift and have about 1.5 inches from my tire to the cutout for the tire on the bumper. Got the body lift just for that reason tll I get my aftermarket bumpers. So with not bodylift you will be real close to touching the bumper.
Great, I'll probably try to take some pics and post up for other trying to make the stock bumper work for a while.. I really like the lod rear bumper but don't have the
1000 to invest. (Thats a lie, I have the $1k but can't figure out how to sell the wife on it, need to show some stress or damage to get it done
Old 01-08-2011, 05:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can buy a spare tire space made specificly for that purpose. Just do a web search for "jk spare tire spacer" my 35 fit with a slight rub on the bumper, but that bumper contact kept it from rattling and took some of the stress off of the carrier it self.
Old 01-08-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Another thing, some of the spacers made are offset from center. So depending on the position you mount the spacer, it will either be higher, lower, left, or right of center. Then you can get bump stop extensions to mount on you tailgate so you'll still have tire contact w/ the the tailgate which also helps w/ rattle.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Depending on the backspacing, you may only need DAYSTAR TAILGATE BUMP STOPS. I have my 35" spare with the extended spacers and MBRP SPARE TIRE REINFORCING KIT on my daily driver and it seems to work fine.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wallsofcrete
I have the KM2s 35x12.50 and have a More 1inch body lift and have about 1.5 inches from my tire to the cutout for the tire on the bumper. Got the body lift just for that reason tll I get my aftermarket bumpers. So with not bodylift you will be real close to touching the bumper.
This is the exact same setup as what I have. With the body lift you have plenty of room between the tire and rear bumper. With the tire mounted snuggly on the spare tire mount, the third brake light slightly bends towards the front of the vehicle. It's been that way for about a year now. No issues.

I'll drop 1500 on a new bumper once that one falls off...
Old 01-09-2011, 04:41 PM
JK Freak

won't fit 325/65/18.. Tire and wheel is 103 lbs! I've not tried dropping it down to 20-25 psi. but... don't think it will fit. Guess I'll have to get a bracket ($40) or invest in a carrier.. Is there a carrier that will work with a stock bumper? I was planning a front bumper instead of a rear..
Old 01-09-2011, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by capt_howdey
Depending on the backspacing, you may only need DAYSTAR TAILGATE BUMP STOPS. I have my 35" spare with the extended spacers and MBRP SPARE TIRE REINFORCING KIT on my daily driver and it seems to work fine.
How long has this held up for you?
Old 01-09-2011, 05:15 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Danny4652
How long has this held up for you?
I've had this setup since August... The bolts on the spare tire carrier do tend to loosen. I just tighten them when I check everything else.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Deere_Jeep
Is there a carrier that will work with a stock bumper?..
I have been looking for one too. I found one at northridge http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=HN-JKT2-P

Anyone know of any other options?
Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by GaMtnJk
I have been looking for one too. I found one at northridge http://northridge4x4.com/proddetail.php?prod=HN-JKT2-P

Anyone know of any other options?
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_xtras_1053.html Found this one doing the web search that was suggested.. Does not solve the tailgate stress issue, but gets the spare on.. Wonder if a spidertrax will work.. GaMTnJK we could split a set and come out about the same as this bracet... wonder if Dave at Northridge has some damaged spacers that would work for a spare..

Quick Reply: 35" Spare Tire mount