Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" no lift

Old 03-09-2014, 08:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea i think ill be happy with 410s and the 3.6. I understand that the 3.8 needs lower gears to make real power. I do a fair bit if eway driving so i require a little top. Don't get me wrong, if money wasnt an issue id gear to 488 or 513. The power and would be awesome! But if you DD your jk as many of us do, i think it can be agreed screaming rpms and DUMPED gas mileage which results from high gears is an issue. Sorry to the OP for jacking your thread kinda but i think you will gather some good info from this. Good luck!
Old 03-09-2014, 08:11 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Its funny how people won't spend $1500 on proper gears and say they are not needed but have no problem spending $2000 on big tires that are not needed.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:16 AM
JK Newbie

I have 35's with 4.10 gears, 3.8, & an auto. It is in a Rubicon just like yours. I can tell very little diffrence from the 35's and the factory tires. Yes, I would go to 4.88 If I ever decide to re-gear. But, fopr now it's fine and with the extra low transfer case in your Rubicon you will do fine off road.
Old 03-10-2014, 08:55 AM
JK Newbie

My 2011 is a manual. From the charts it's says it'll be okay. Just curious how it performs and any issues with having to drop a new clutch?

Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3898824275.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	536454
Old 03-10-2014, 09:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Increasing tire size without adjsuting gearing will put more stress on the entire drivetrain. Driveshafts, transmission, clutch, and the engine will all see more stress. Off road this stress is worse on a sport or sahara vs a rubicon because the rubicon has the 4.1:1 low gear range making starts and climbing obsticles easier.

Think about riding a bicycle up hill. If you are in 1st gear you can easily move up the hill albeit slowly and in control where if you were to go up it in 10th gear you would be pushing really hard on the pedals and trying to transfer all that force thru the cranks, chain, and gears. Yours legs would be burning from the extra force needed to get you moving. The motion would be jerky and out of control with short burst of speed followed by a pause and then another short burst as your legs hit thier max force.

Quick Reply: 35" no lift