Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" no lift

Old 03-09-2014, 12:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" no lift

I'm eyeing 35" BFG Km2 for my 2011 2dr Rubicon which is manny...

I like the look of no lift with 35s after trimming the fenders, pinch seam, etc...

My question is how much of a pain are the 4.10 gears gonna be? I really don't want to spend another grand+ re-gearing right now.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:45 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

not bad with a 6 speed but will suck with the auto.
Old 03-09-2014, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

I have 35s with 4.10s no noticeable difference on road with manual

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2904303081.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	536248
Old 03-09-2014, 02:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It should be decent.
Old 03-09-2014, 02:20 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live in Colorado, frequent the Rockies. I have 35's with 4:10 and auto. On the 3.6, it's good. I can maintain speed on the highway and the tranny isn't searching for gears. With a 3.8, I understand you will want no less than 5:13's.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Everybody will jump down my throat for this but i just installed 35in mud terrains and i have a '13 auto with 3.21 gears. I re calibrated with the AEV procal. It is completely fine. Say what you want, but i can honestly say so far i cannot understand why somebody would regear to 513s or somthing insane like that. My milage is a 17mpg, so still good with the small gears and i noticed a small power drop. Off road just drop it in 4low and let 'er rip. Your 410s will be fine. Personally i am going to search for rubicon 410 geared takeoffs axles with lockers instead if regearing to 4.56 or 4.88. From what i now know, that has to be way to much gear, at least for a DD. You can tell me im wasting money going to 410s and show me all the graphs you want but i think 410s will be perfect if my baby 321s and an auto is only a little weak. Good luck.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:12 PM
Former Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mikestoick
Everybody will jump down my throat for this but i just installed 35in mud terrains and i have a '13 auto with 3.21 gears. I re calibrated with the AEV procal. It is completely fine. Say what you want, but i can honestly say so far i cannot understand why somebody would regear to 513s or somthing insane like that. My milage is a 17mpg, so still good with the small gears and i noticed a small power drop. Off road just drop it in 4low and let 'er rip. Your 410s will be fine. Personally i am going to search for rubicon 410 geared takeoffs axles with lockers instead if regearing to 4.56 or 4.88. From what i now know, that has to be way to much gear, at least for a DD. You can tell me im wasting money going to 410s and show me all the graphs you want but i think 410s will be perfect if my baby 321s and an auto is only a little weak. Good luck.
Although I have a 3.8 with 3.73 I thought the same thing that I won't need to regear and all but I think you will change your mind. When I first got 35s I was intimidated driving it and therefore I drove slower and not with the pace of traffic bc I wasn't used to it. once I got used to it and comfortable driving it. I can really feel ithe need to regear especially on long hills.

Respond back in 3 weeks and I bet you will say that you need to regear

Not trying to act like a jerk. Just know from my experience how I felt and how it quickly changed once I got comfortable driving it
Old 03-09-2014, 06:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Benm1020
Although I have a 3.8 with 3.73 I thought the same thing that I won't need to regear and all but I think you will change your mind. When I first got 35s I was intimidated driving it and therefore I drove slower and not with the pace of traffic bc I wasn't used to it. once I got used to it and comfortable driving it. I can really feel ithe need to regear especially on long hills. Respond back in 3 weeks and I bet you will say that you need to regear Not trying to act like a jerk. Just know from my experience how I felt and how it quickly changed once I got comfortable driving it
yea i would like to regear, i guess im just an advocate of not overgearing which isnt a popular trend on this forum. I think 410s will be ideal for me especially if i can get new axles that already have lockers and i can replace my front with a d44. Id kill alot of birds with 1 stone haha. I think the stock rubicon axles im after should turn up for me eventually.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

4.56 would be the most i would ever go personally. That would have to be a rocket even on 35s. If i was going to put bigger gears than that in a vehicle it would be offroad ONLY, in which case i wouldnt be building a jk in the 1st place, id probably build up ad old basketcase jeep sitting on 40s or something (obviously not knocking jks in anyway, id pit my jk against any of the older model jeeps my friends and family own and be confident).
Old 03-09-2014, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

410s with the 3.6 motor would be perfect, but to get the same effect with 3.8 you would need 4.57 or 4.88. I had 3.21s with the 3.8 and 35s and here in Tennessee with the hills I drive it was horrible. Honestly, 4th gear on the interstate a lot of the time. So my point being I don't think you can overgear a vehicle that rarely sees 80 mph. Mine sometimes sees 75 tops. Plenty left at the peddle, but I want use it it's just not safe in a jeep to run 90 mph, so I would rather have a jeep that's maneuverable in the lower gears where it's actually usable. I have a manual and wish I would have went lower. It just would be better usable torque in my opinion. I like having a manual that behaves like an automatic. Let off the clutch and it just pulls. In traffic it just crawls along, parking garages, not to mention offroad.

Quick Reply: 35" no lift