Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" M/T's.. what to choose?

Old 09-22-2016, 02:43 PM
JK Freak

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts

I'd make the 2 hour drive to NY, buy the tires you want, have them mounted and balanced, and cruise on home. You seem very limited with those options.

On another note, I'd stay away from the MTR/K's. They're terrible in any sort of icy or snowy conditions. Honestly felt dangerous. They're also a huge PITA to keep balanced; I had mine rebalanced 3 times this summer...and they're out of balance again. I've learned to live with it, but they honestly make a terrible DD tire. My buddies Toyo MT's on the other hand...smooth as butter.

Last edited by BoraBora; 09-22-2016 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-23-2016, 06:40 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad idea for certain brands but being on a budget I still can't justify the exchange rate and all that good stuff. I'm not limited I can get every tire but some are cheaper than others... And I'm getting wheels and a lift all at the same time.

plus I'm gonna sell my old wheels on Kijiji so the border officer might get a little suspicious when they see a jeep with brand new wheels and tires and 5 wheels sitting in the back lol

Btw weight is gonna be important to me because I'm running 35's on an 07 auto with 4:10. So the lighter the better. That's the only reason I havnt for sure bought the DC's is there about 20lbs over the other tires
Old 09-23-2016, 10:22 AM
JK Newbie

i see that the goodyear duratracs are on sale out this way (the wet west coast ) maybe check into those. i am running the 33inch by 17's and they work great in snow and rain, plus never had a problem wheeling. just checked for you the 35x18's are just over $300 per tire
Old 09-23-2016, 06:30 PM
JK Freak

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

I feel exactly opposite of BoraBora, I hate my heavy Toyo's and love my MTRK's. My Toyo's won't balance and the 38x14.5x17" MTRK's have never needed balancing. Now I'm looking at throwing away the Toyo's and have been looking for another MT to replace them with but, I'm looking for a light tire and can't seem to find out the weights of any tires. It seems that I can find all other tech. info. on any tire but the weight.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:15 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm in Kitchener 1 hr west of you and with the snow we get and if it's your daily driver you're going to regret trying to save a couple bucks now to get those tires you listed to only hate them in the winter and end up buying different ones ...... Get the AT Duratracs they look like MT's and are snowflake rated...... I use MTR's w Kevlar in summer (hated them in a winter storm in Colorado on way back from Moab) and switch to my Duratracs every winter and love them over every other tire I've tried in winter including Mickey Thomson MTZ's and ATZ's ..... The Duratracs aren't bad off-road either if you even do that just be extra careful cause their sidewall is their weakest area. I've had good experiences with discount tire by the way .... Good luck
Old 09-24-2016, 06:18 PM
JK Newbie

I am gonna be on road 98% of the time but when I'm not I really don't and to compromise, it gets super muddy in the spring and late fall up here. No crazy rock crawling like Utah but lots off it'll guys, muddy ruts and roots. I just don't wnna get stuck if I'm using an AT. Unless it can handle it. The Duratrac does look pretty aggressive...

I didn't even mind driving in the rain and ice with MT's, I was fine my shitty Chinese tires so I figure everything else will be an improvement as long as there is siping. I can get the duratracs for 330 so the same price as the DC's. But DC has a $100 rebate...

If the duratracs perform really well in the sloppy stuff I might take the shot, if not then il get the DC or Kumhos
Old 09-24-2016, 06:36 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've wheeled Ardbeg in the fall last year with them (Duratracs) I was surprised how well they did in the sloppy stuff but my buddy did say they would do well.... He was right. Seems like you have experience in the winter with other tires so you kinda know what you're getting into then... That's good .... Guess it's just up to you to make up your mind then..... Good luck
Old 09-24-2016, 07:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 32 Likes on 30 Posts

Consider to cover atps. I have them in 33 and love them. They make a 35 in17. Cooler makes Cepeks and Mickey Thompsons so it's the same technology silica compound and 10 ply sidewalls. Full depth sipes and the silica comping make them great in wet and snow. I live in CLE so that was important. They are listed as an AT but have a pretty high void and do very well in the mud. My problem with the GY DTs has always been the lack of full depth sipe and the compound is too hard for winter.
Old 09-30-2016, 09:38 PM
JK Newbie

has anyone used Amp tires? they seem like a fair price and pretty readily available. Just haven't heard much on them..
Old 10-07-2016, 06:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mr Burgundy
has anyone used Amp tires? they seem like a fair price and pretty readily available. Just haven't heard much on them..
I just bought a pair of AMP Mud Terrain Attack tires from a friend who upgraded to 37's. They will be going on my jeep very soon. I will let you know how they feel on the jeep. Like you I looked on here for any info on them but there doesn't seem to be any post's about them.

Quick Reply: 35" M/T's.. what to choose?