Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35" KM2's on Cragar 15x8"?

Old 01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35" KM2's on Cragar 15x8"?

Hey all. New to the forum here-glad to see so many people helpin each other out with all sorts of stuff Jeep. I'm trying to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on a new set of 35" KM2's on Cragar 15" soft 8's onto my 09 Rubicon 4dr. I've heard some people have had issues with rubbing on the calipers, others with issues concerning the sticky weights on the inside of the rim, etc. Just looking for a second opinion and hopefully pics of what to expect. Thanks-

Matt from Ohio.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think 15s on a rubicon might have an issue clearing the brake calipers... ill see if i can back it up with an info thread.
Old 01-29-2009, 01:36 PM
JK Freak

15's dont work. search W.O.L.'s F.A.Q. thread(s)--very comprehensive and enlightening to say the least
Old 01-29-2009, 01:37 PM
JK Junkie

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...95&postcount=7

Originally Posted by planman
With 15" wheels, you can't go higher than 4"backspacing.

I had a set of 33s on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s, with 4" backspacing. I ran them periodically when I wanted better gas mileage. I later sold them to a friend with an Unlimited X--before the recent spike in gas prices.

The Rubi brake calipers are different than the X calipers. My friend did not have to grind some material off his calipers to run these same wheels.

Grinding a little off our calipers is no big deal. Hod rod owners have been doing it for years.

You use your kid's sidewalk chalk to cover the potential problem areas on your calipers. Then you mount the wheel with a couple lug nuts. Turn the wheel 1-2 revolutions. Take the wheel off again. Look at where the chalk rubbed off. Grind that area a little. Re-apply the sidewalk chalk, re-mount the wheel...repeat until you can turn the wheel with no rubbing noise or rubbing off of the chalk.

I had to grind a very small amount off here:

This is why:

Old 01-29-2009, 01:43 PM
JK Newbie

So what if I add say a... 1 1/4 in spacer behind the wheels? Would that solve the problem do you think? I'm not above grinding the rotors where needed, but would the spacers help with extra clearance as far as turning radius (rubbing when steering wheel is locked to left/right), etc?
Old 01-29-2009, 02:00 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pentz.7
So what if I add say a... 1 1/4 in spacer behind the wheels? Would that solve the problem do you think? I'm not above grinding the rotors where needed, but would the spacers help with extra clearance as far as turning radius (rubbing when steering wheel is locked to left/right), etc?
wouldnt it be wiser to find a wheel with the correct offset needed to clear your calipers?

but yes, the spacer would help.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:56 PM
JK Newbie

already have the spacers. Just was curious if it would be worth it to just run the spacers over grinding the calipers.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

the spacer will work but you will have a rediculous amount of backspacing and probably going to strain your axles, etc...
Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
JK Newbie

maybe just grinding the rotors then would be best--cause I'd rather not risk screwing over the axles from the added stress and whatnot from the spacers themselves w/ the extra backspacing.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just grind a tad on the caliper and/or the backside of the rims. That's what I did and am now running the 15x8 Cragers just fine.

It's the irregularities in the stamping of the holes in the soft 8 that hits the caliper, some holes rubbed worse then others, that's why I say to grind down on the backside of the rims. I'm not at all conserned with the minor grinding I had to do.

Quick Reply: 35" KM2's on Cragar 15x8"?