Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35 inch tires & aussie OR 37s open on dana 30

Old 12-30-2011, 02:50 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 34s rt now and need new tires this spring. I have dana 30 with sleeves gussets. Thinking either 37s or 35s and aussie. Already have arb in rear. What will perform better offroad? Which choice will cause more stress in dana 30?
Old 12-30-2011, 06:34 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Olean NY Jeeper
I have 34s rt now and need new tires this spring. I have dana 30 with sleeves gussets. Thinking either 37s or 35s and aussie. Already have arb in rear. What will perform better offroad? Which choice will cause more stress in dana 30?
if you're planning to install an aussie, i would stick with 35's and even with that, i would still recommend getting a set of chromoly shafts installed. 37's are a lot of tire for a 30 even open and i definitely wouldn't recommend it especially with an aussie.
Old 12-30-2011, 06:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an Aussie with sleeves and gussets. I am running stock shafts and have not had a problem so far. Just don't give it Hell and u will be fine
Old 12-30-2011, 07:01 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by medic_23387
I have an Aussie with sleeves and gussets. I am running stock shafts and have not had a problem so far. Just don't give it Hell and u will be fine
i think the key words here are "so far". you don't need to give it hell to break things. more times than not, it the cumulative effect of wheeling that will cause something like an axle shaft to break and a lot times, when it finally goes, it'll be on something stupid easy. but, what do i know. all i can say is that i've been able to break chromo dana 44 shafts and even a dana 60 shaft and i'm not one to give it hell.
Old 12-31-2011, 05:33 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife

i think the key words here are "so far". you don't need to give it hell to break things. more times than not, it the cumulative effect of wheeling that will cause something like an axle shaft to break and a lot times, when it finally goes, it'll be on something stupid easy. but, what do i know. all i can say is that i've been able to break chromo dana 44 shafts and even a dana 60 shaft and i'm not one to give it hell.
Well you maybe right but that is your experience not mine so..... I have wheeled mine on some pretty hard stuff on 35's for over a year w/o any problems again my experience. Hell I seen a stock one with stock tires break a shaft on a level 2 trail that was almost like a dirt road. I have no plans of ever going to stronger shafts and don't have the money to go with a bigger axle right now. Leave the shaft as the weak link its cheaper to replace. I have 2 extra sets of stock shafts lying around just in case. I can replace the stock shafts 10 times before I go with a pricey aftermarket stronger shaft. The taking it easy part is to protect the weaker R&P in the Dana 30

Quick Reply: 35 inch tires & aussie OR 37s open on dana 30