Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35 inch spare on stock carrier...damage???

Old 07-28-2009, 07:30 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes a bigger tire WILL wreck your tailgate. Even if you have it rest on the bumper that is not where the weight is sitting it is the outside weight of the tire that is putting the negative forces on your tailgate. If you do any offroading and bouncing around the tailgate cannot take it.

That being said some people have gotten away with it for quite some time in fact for that reason I put a 35 on my tire carrier... now I regret doing it.
I am pretty sure a rancho bumper is only 300-400 bucks with a tire carrier
Old 07-28-2009, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

my stock rubi tire bent the sheet metal a little on the tailgate of my 09 rubi.

The tire was only there 2 months
Old 07-28-2009, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

I must be one of the lucky ones. I've had my 35 on the stock spare tire carrier since Jan 2007. I do some heavy trail riding and the occasional trip to the off-road park thrown in for good measure, with no damage to the tail gate. I've added some Daystar extended bumps, though. It swings fine and do dents as of yet. Actually I backed into a car last winter and the only thing that hit was the lower portion of the spare tire. The Honda was wrecked, but still no damage to my Jeep. However, I do want to get a new bumper with a tire carrier, I just feel that it'll put the spare too far back. Possibly causing and impact from the increased overhang.

Quick Reply: 35 inch spare on stock carrier...damage???