Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

35 inch spare on stock carrier...damage???

Old 07-27-2009, 04:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35 inch spare on stock carrier...damage???

i want to get a full size spare but i dont want it to damage my rear door so im asking to see if anyone has had any damage because of the heavier tire
thanks
Old 07-27-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Check out this thread

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...carrier+damage
Old 07-27-2009, 09:00 PM
JK Newbie

I read all the threads and agree it probably will, eventually. That being said I have a 35" on mine. The stock tire carrier had to be modified to make it work. The original bolts do not stick out far enough to get a bite on the lug nuts due to the tire bulge. I removed the tire carier, removed the bolts, and tac welded in three new bolts that were longer. Works fine for now. The tire will rub the lower bumper just a bit so be ready for that.
As I said just a quick fix until I can afford a $500 bumper and tire carrier.
Old 07-27-2009, 09:07 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lbchip
I read all the threads and agree it probably will, eventually. That being said I have a 35" on mine. The stock tire carrier had to be modified to make it work. The original bolts do not stick out far enough to get a bite on the lug nuts due to the tire bulge. I removed the tire carier, removed the bolts, and tac welded in three new bolts that were longer. Works fine for now. The tire will rub the lower bumper just a bit so be ready for that.
He's runnin crager soft 8's, no need to modify the rear carrier. Stock rims, yes.
Old 07-28-2009, 05:55 AM
JK Super Freak

do cragar soft 8s need the spare spacer to fit or can it just bolt right on
Old 07-28-2009, 05:59 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lbchip
where you getting a carrier/bumper for $500?

to the O.P. there are a few guys in my club that have 35's on the stock carrier, and the weight seems to sit on the bumper.. so far they dont have any issues, but I would think they will in the future. 35's are HEAVY
Old 07-28-2009, 06:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I have 35 nitto mud grapplers on 18" sahara wheels and they are to friggin big and wont fit. so i am in the process of making a mod that will let me mount it. using the stock carrier and a support brace that will be held up by the reciver hitch. to minimize the weight to the tail gate.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:21 AM
JK Freak

[QUOTE=racer83l;1258383]where you getting a carrier/bumper for $500?

PM BRUISED at 4wd Hardware, The Smittybilt XRC is not a whole lot more than $600 if you catch a sale or special on one. I got a great deal on mine.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have 35" nitto mud grapplers and an 18" wheel and it fits but barely....The tire accually sits on the bumper a little bit to take some of the weight off the carrier so it works out perfect. The tire does sit at a slight angle though because the bottom of the tire is just a wee big and squeezes into the cutout in the bumper.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:20 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by funtimes
I have 35" nitto mud grapplers and an 18" wheel and it fits but barely....The tire accually sits on the bumper a little bit to take some of the weight off the carrier so it works out perfect. The tire does sit at a slight angle though because the bottom of the tire is just a wee big and squeezes into the cutout in the bumper.
thats how mine was with the nittos 35's and 18's but the wheels were 119lbs a piece... and when I close the door with out lifting up first it would hit the bumper first and stress the carrier...

leading into this I said hey I will be fine with a 35 on the back... after 2 weeks of it I was already starting to see a problem with the tailgate and I got a new rear and tire carrier... (I am still suffering from the $$ spent :( and I got a sick deal on it) just didnt plan on it... and was wrong wrong wrong...

now... that doesnt mean no one can rock a 35 and get away with it... I am positive there are combos out there that are light enough (and dont HIT when you close the gate) that would be fine... mine is just not one of them...

Quick Reply: 35 inch spare on stock carrier...damage???