Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

34 inch tires vs. 33 inch tires with 3.21 gears 2 door

Old 01-27-2010, 06:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
You might not be able to use 1st or 2nd gear at all. White means a no-no basically (in my book)
No first or second gear? Eeesh....No bueno. It would only be temporary though for a month or two....anyone else know about the "white" section of the gear chart and what would happen? I appreciate the input!...just antsy about getting new mods Sounds like I may just be better off doing it all at once...But I am curious now.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 PM
JK Super Freak

your on highway driving would suffer the most...really high rpms and low speed. think of it like a mountain bike...low gear, easy to pedal but cant go as fast, high gear hard to pedal but great speed...just a laymens prospective. Good luck!
Old 04-13-2010, 03:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

okay, so I don't know if anyone is still paying attention to this thread, but I figured I'd give an update. I just recently put new 35's on my 4 door and chopped the front fenders because I had heard they don't fit on stock suspension. I planned on doing that anyway cuz I love the way it looks. Anyway, I have my lift and gears just haven't installed them yet. My gas mileage is suffering big time though. I have decent power, but I feel like I'm stuck between gears. I have a six speed so I'm not literally stuck. I have "normal" stock power going up slight hillsm but I have to push 3000 rpms to do this and when I shift it bogs down to about 1400 rpm. SOooo, needless to say I'm going to be regearing very soon because my gas mileage went from 17 to 13.6.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:45 PM
JK Newbie

i have an unlimited on 34 BFG AT s and i did notice a loss in power. i will regear soon to 4.56 but you should get the flashpaq regardless. i averaged 15.6 on my last tank and with the 34s it feels like it did with the stockers. i see your going to regear soon but the chip is great!!! i could only use 4th before the flashpaq and now its very easy to use 5th in a 55 and 6th on the highway
Old 04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Woops, okay so I didn't think about my computer being off because of the tires. I got my lift kit in the mail the other day and it comes with the procal. I recalibrated the tire settings and reset my mgp calculator on the dash...I'm getting around 16 mpg now...whew

still going to regear though.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Olean,

You have lifted your jeep since originally posting this thread. I would say go for 35s and then worry about a regear next. If I had a lift, I would not have gone with 33s in the first place.
Old 04-27-2010, 11:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IcyFridge
Olean,

You have lifted your jeep since originally posting this thread. I would say go for 35s and then worry about a regear next. If I had a lift, I would not have gone with 33s in the first place.
Just saw this post. I have lifted my Jeep and I am going with 34s or 35s when i get tires which will be sooner rather than later due to my tire blowout on my last wheeling trip. I will worry about regear later. I talked to a guy in my club who runs 35s with 3.73 automatic. I have 3.21 6 speed so I think it will be ok. 33s are just not worth the money. I drive slow anyway and I dont care if l lose 6 gear completely. I also dont care about gas milage at all since I only go places when I wheel. When I go on non-wheeling vacations I rent a car to save my jeep and I only live 2 miles from work. I hardly ever drive on the highway and when I do it is in the country where I can accelerate like a buick because there is no one else on the highway.

Quick Reply: 34 inch tires vs. 33 inch tires with 3.21 gears 2 door