Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33X12.50X17 What lift?

Old 02-09-2008, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33X12.50X17 What lift?

Hey guys. Maybe a newbie question, but I just purchased a JK 2 door. The dealer I bought it from has already put new 33X12.5X17 with 17X9 wheels. I just purchased from 4wheel parts what was supposed to be a 2.5" Skyjacker lift but after research find that it is 3.5" on a 2 door. The kit will be in at the store in a couple of days. Does anybody have any pics of this combination or anything close? I'm wondering how it it will function and look. Thanks for you're help.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Hard to tell if they did all the parts to make it work or not from here.

33's fit stock with no lift...so that's easy....32's are stocck sized tires.

As for the 2.5 vs 3.5" lifts...on a 2 dr (Shorter) the drive shaft angle are more acute, and you need to replace drive shafts and do a bunch of other things for it to work properly....if they DID it peoperly, it will be great, but you should have gotten 35's at least.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Newbie

I havnt installed the kit yet. It will be in in a couple of days. I was wondering if I should change my order to something else that might fit the tires better. All of the poly spacer kits dont seem to level the jeep out.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you're sticking with the 33's, I wouldn't go any higher than 2.5". I have a 3" with 35's and theres still lots of room in the wheel wells. I kinda wish I went with a 2.5" lift.
Old 02-09-2008, 09:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Like I said...you didn't need a lift for 33's...so its a moot point....

As for "Leveling" it...it comes from the factory with a nose down rake on purpose...when you "Level" it, you screw that up, and change the steering geometry, Akerman angles, and cargo/handling charactoristics.

If all you want to do is raise the front end, add a coil spacer for a few $ and be done with it...

...if you want a 2.5" suspension lift that rides nice, and is cheap, get a TeraFlex 2.5" Budget Boost (2.5" TF BB)

What did you PAY for?

There SHOULD have been a huge difference in price between the two kits that you thought you might bee getting....especially if the taller kit was going to work as it would require a bunch of non-included drivetrain modifications, etc...that would have been EXTRA to put on after the lift.

Make sure the shop that ordered it for you didn't purposefully get you the taller kit "by mistake"...so they can generously eat the diference/say the taller lift was delivered for the price of the shorter lift.........and then make a ton of money doing all of the things that the taller lift didn't include, etc.

So - as you don't need a lift at all....you could just cancel the order, and enjoy the new jeep.

If you need things level, measure how much lower the nose is, andd add a spacer to the front coils of that height, and you'll be level.

If you want a lift, on a 2dr JK....anything over 2.5" requires ALOT of extra work....as the drive shaft shortness/acute angles make things get messy, etc.

(On the Unlimiteds...they are a lot longer, so they can get to closer to a 4" lift before things get expensive)

Hope that helps.

Old 02-10-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just do an RE budget boost? The front spacers are a little taller than the rear ones, leveling out the jeep a little more.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you are gonna run 33's, I would highly suggest the kit I got, the Rough Country 2.5" budget boost. For starters, the spacers are powder coated steel, NOT urethane. Secondly, this kit is designed to level out your Jeep. Worked great on mine. 3rd, it is only $139 Complete. Here is a pic of mine on 32" tires after the lift:

Old 02-10-2008, 06:37 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all of you're help. What happened is Skyjacker sells the same coil spring kit for the 4door as they do for the 2 door. Same part no# for both jeeps. The 4 door it raises 2.5 and the 2 door it raises 3.5 because it is lighter. I think I will cancel the order tommorrow morning since the guy at 4wheel parts has no idea what he is talking about. Think I will go with the spacer lifts. Rubicon lift sounds good if it levels the jeep. Thanks again.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

If I were doing it all over again I would have done more research and got a lift that addresses the rear trackbar relocation mount issues that the 2.5" SJ lift still has not addressed in their kits. SJ states it is a non issue . Several forum members seem to disagree. My $.02 is take your time and do it right the first time as you can run those 33s w/out a lift. No doubt you will want bigger tires as the JK begs for 35s.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by axle
Hey guys. Maybe a newbie question, but I just purchased a JK 2 door. The dealer I bought it from has already put new 33X12.5X17 with 17X9 wheels. I just purchased from 4wheel parts what was supposed to be a 2.5" Skyjacker lift but after research find that it is 3.5" on a 2 door. The kit will be in at the store in a couple of days. Does anybody have any pics of this combination or anything close? I'm wondering how it it will function and look. Thanks for you're help.

33s on 16s R.E. 3 1/2

Last edited by castor07jk; 02-10-2008 at 09:31 AM.

Quick Reply: 33X12.50X17 What lift?