Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33's on stock 2012 JK causing shimmy

Old 09-01-2012, 03:32 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33's on stock 2012 JK causing shimmy

First post, YAY!

My name is Jeff and I just got a 2012 Sahara Tan Sport S. I just installed a set of 285/70R17's on a set of 17X9in aluminum wheels. The tires are Kelly Safari TSR's, I love these tires and had them on my 07 X in a 16in 33. Anyway, at highway speeds 67mph+ there is a shimmy in the suspension. I won't say steering because the wheel does not really move. It is as if the whole Jeep vibrates left to right. It gets more violent as you increase the speed. Never really gets to what I would call DW. The tires took a lot of weight to balance but did come out fine. One has nearly 9oz of stick on weights on the inside...it is the spare! What do you guys think is my most obvious problem? The Jeep has only 18,000 miles on it and I don't see any obvious damage or wear to the suspension. Suspension is stock right now but I do plan to lift it 2in with a Mopar lift I already have. I want to get this sorted first. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:37 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the forum I wood go to a different shop and have your tires rebalanced 9 oz. That's alot

Last edited by gunbo75; 09-01-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I would have them re-balanced, and make sure you don't have a bad tire or bent wheel
Old 09-01-2012, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

My take is one of three things:

1) The tires/wheels need to be rebalanced
2) One or more wheels do not have all the lug nuts tightened properly, causing a wheel to slightly wobble (creating a minor vibration)
3) You just added more weight to your Jeep; therefore, the engine is working harder to move forward. I know that my JK on 33's cannot go past 75mph or so without a minor vibration beginning to emerge and remain constant until I lower my speed.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2012SaharaTan
First post, YAY!

My name is Jeff and I just got a 2012 Sahara Tan Sport S.

Anyway, at highway speeds 67mph+ there is a shimmy in the suspension. I won't say steering because the wheel does not really move. It is as if the whole Jeep vibrates left to right. It gets more violent as you increase the speed.
Typically, if your steering wheels shakes, it's a front tire. If you feel it in your seat or whole Jeep and the steering wheel isn't shaking, it's a rear tire out of balance or out of round.

Oh, welcome to the forum.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:23 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gunbo75
Welcome to the forum I wood go to a different shop and have your tires rebalanced 9 oz. That's alot
Thank you for the welcome! The outside stick-on weights are as follows....

LF - 3.25oz
RF - 3.75oz
LR - 5.75oz
RR - 6.25oz
SPARE - 8.75oz < (Was on right rear changed it this morning but did not help)

The inside hammer-ons were not that much. I think the most was 3.5oz. What is the most weight you guys would want to see on yours? These rims are very deep, part of the problem might be the stick-on weights being sorta far back in.

I see the point about the rear being the source of the vibe because it isn't felt in the wheel, I will put that one in my memory bank. One more question, I have a Mopar rear bumper with a tire carrier, would that be causing any vibes? It sits sorta low in the back because of the extra weight. The stock suspension seems so soft! When you open the tire carrier out the darn Jeep leans to the passenger's side.

One last observation. When you jack it up and spin the rear wheels by hand there is a sound. Its not really a werring, its like a fast paced "bumping" I guess you might call it. Almost sounds like maybe a bearing noise? Something in the parking brake? I am going to need to get it checked by someone who knows more than me.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:42 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Ryan0260
I would have them re-balanced, and make sure you don't have a bad tire or bent wheel
X2: Sound's like you need to reblance your tire's. If one of your tire's is out of round DON'T put it on the front because it could cause DW. My spare is out round and can't use it on the front for that reason.
Also make sure the clip's that hold the Brake Rotor's on have been removed

Last edited by Shadow's_Jeep; 09-01-2012 at 09:46 PM.

Quick Reply: 33's on stock 2012 JK causing shimmy