Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33's no lift, articulation pics

Old 05-31-2016, 07:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33's no lift, articulation pics

anyone roll with no lift on 33's and getting good articulation? or are the 33's requiring a lift for any good articulation?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:07 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

shocks and bump stops as well as fender clearance will give you articulation. 33's and no lift will articulate like stock.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0766.JPG
Views:	784
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	648528

Last edited by TheDirtman; 06-01-2016 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 08:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Dirt man that's pretty impressive. Almost makes me want to rethink the 2.5" spring kit I'm ready to pull the trigger on. I like the LCOG look. Humor me on this tho. Don't I need to create "space" between the top of my tire and the bottom of the fender to have decent articulation? Remember I'm new at this. I've been under the jeep and there's only a couple of inches of up travel per wheel till it hits the bump stop. In my mind this is telling me I have two inches of up travel. Down travel "droop" is unknown in my mind but I would guess it would be limited to the opposing wheels up travel which like I said appears to be 2 inches. School me if I'm wrong. According to the jeep in the pic I should be wrong. What am I missing? Obviously jeep in pic is disco'd. Is it running stock wheels no spacers or with spacers. I have 17x9 with 4.5" back spacing. Seems like I'd be eating fender if I tried this.

Last edited by pitbull62; 06-01-2016 at 08:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

see that red link in my signature? Click on it.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:07 PM
JK Freak

Yes, read his sticky... Here's a link in case you can't see his sig, very informative! https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/modi...-lifts-288269/
Old 06-01-2016, 06:09 PM
JK Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 33s will be prety much the same as stock

this was mine brand new . They flex pretty well . Not as much as we prob would like but , my 33s are actually smaller than the stockers they are 31 3/4" Im not lifting mine, I prefer stock height . Im prob in the minority on that but i like it low . Id say it depends on what terrain you intend on driving on if its rough riding maybe a lift would be the way to go. For my use stock is good enough.
i know it will take me any where i had to go . might just take the scenic route if need be
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7328.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	648572   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3514 (2).jpg
Views:	272
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	648585  

Last edited by jeepmojo; 06-01-2016 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 06:37 PM
JK Freak

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
this was mine brand new . They flex pretty well . Not as much as we prob would like but , my 33s are actually smaller than the stockers they are 31 3/4" Im not lifting mine, I prefer stock height . Im prob in the minority on that but i like it low . Id say it depends on what terrain you intend on driving on if its rough riding maybe a lift would be the way to go. For my use stock is good enough. i know it will take me any where i had to go . might just take the scenic route if need be
Wash the first shot taken disconnected?
Old 06-01-2016, 06:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmojo
this was mine brand new . They flex pretty well . Not as much as we prob would like but , my 33s are actually smaller than the stockers they are 31 3/4" Im not lifting mine, I prefer stock height . Im prob in the minority on that but i like it low . Id say it depends on what terrain you intend on driving on if its rough riding maybe a lift would be the way to go. For my use stock is good enough. i know it will take me any where i had to go . might just take the scenic route if need be
I would like to stay as low as possible but when trying out dfrnt reasonable trails i don't want to have to turn around and go home becuz my jeep couldn't handle moderate trails. There is no rock crawling in my future but want my jeep to be able handle within reason most trails.
Old 06-02-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Tires, lockers, gears. You are getting tires now do lockers and lower gearing and you will tackle most trails. Rock crawling needs lots of articulation where as most trail riding require traction and torque for climbing steep grades. This is where having lockers and low gears will allow you to run these trails slower and under control. Adding lift to run trials that have lots of steep and off camber situations just makes you less stable and more likely to flop.
Old 06-02-2016, 11:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Tires, lockers, gears. You are getting tires now do lockers and lower gearing and you will tackle most trails. Rock crawling needs lots of articulation where as most trail riding require traction and torque for climbing steep grades. This is where having lockers and low gears will allow you to run these trails slower and under control. Adding lift to run trials that have lots of steep and off camber situations just makes you less stable and more likely to flop.
sorry for my newbness in advance. I understand steep. But by off camber do you mean for example jeep sideways on hill with both axles basically in same position ie whole jeep just leaning left at say 45*? Or does off camber mean flat ground with left front axle drooped and righ rear axle drooped? The latter is what I want to be able to handle within reason and to me it seems I need to first create some space ie lift to establish a higher baseline in order to be able to articulate from. I know I could add flatties and no lift but seems I would get no more "flex" than what the stock bump stops would go and that's two inches. This is what I can't seem to wrap my mind around.

Last edited by pitbull62; 06-02-2016 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply: 33's no lift, articulation pics