Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33's and ESP Issues

Old 06-27-2008, 04:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33's and ESP Issues

So I recently went from stock 29" tires on my 2 door to 33". I haven't yet corrected my computer because of the cost of the programmer. My problem is that my ESP light comes on when I go around turns at speed. When the ESP kicks in it really throws the Jeep around. Will correcting the tire size in the computer fix this problem?
Old 06-27-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do you have a lift on your Jeep?

Are the new tires inflated properly?

I have 33's and I don't have an issue with the ESP. I also did not reprogram for tire size.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:36 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by flyer415
Do you have a lift on your Jeep?

Are the new tires inflated properly?

I have 33's and I don't have an issue with the ESP. I also did not reprogram for tire size.
I don't have any issues either. I do notice that the ESP kicked on more when it was new than it does now. Maybe it "learns" as you drive???
Old 06-27-2008, 06:09 PM
JK Freak

You can go to the dealer and get your computer flashed for 32" tires. That will be close enough so that you don't have to spend a few hundred dollars on a programmer. I went from 32 to 33 or to be totally correct, I went from 32.1 to 32.8" tires. I have passed by the roadside speed indicators and I might be off 1mph when I'm going 65.
As for the ESP kicking in, I've got a 2" RE BB and it never kicked on until I lowered the pressure in my tires. The shop put 40 lbs in when they mounted the tires and the ESP never came on. I lowered the pressure to 32 lbs and now it kicks in when I take a sharp curve a little too fast; usually on exit ramps.

Last edited by Denny2565; 06-27-2008 at 09:19 PM.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah its on exit ramps that mine kicks in. I haven't checked the pressure yet. I don't have a lift, its just a stock 2 door x with 33"x12.5"x17 Mickey's. I can't see how you can mess up installing wheels other than being out of balance and i don't feel any shudder and it drives straight. I't doesn't happen that often. I'm just worried about it happening this winter and throwing me off the road.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

The dealer here charges 50 bucks to flash your comp.
They can go 1 to 1 on 33" but thats the max is what they told me.

But that has nothing to do with your ESP.
The steering must be centered, that means the sterring wheel is dead on center when your tires are pointed straight ahead.
It's not hard to fix your self if your so inclined. But if its under arrenty the stealership should be able to help.

I drive around on 28" tires in town and switch to 35" when I go wheel'n and My ESP isnt an issue.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:16 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

I'm going to tell you what happened to me, which shouldn't be taken as an explanation of what I did to fix this. I had recently upgraded to 33" tires. I then lifted my JK and waited a few days to recenter the steering wheel. Driving around I never saw the ESP issue. But I don't drive that much on the Interstate or have particularly hard turns, and probably didn't during those few days. Anyway, I got around to recentering the steering wheel and a few days later was taking one particularly sharp off-ramp pretty darn fast and the ESP went off. After that, for the next few weeks, the one day a week I drove the Interstate at this off-ramp only, the ESP would go off consistently at about 35-40 mph. Anyway, not thinking about the ESP issue, I got the Hypertech programmer and set the proper tire size. I also checked the new 33" tire pressures and they were at 45. I brought them down to 30 psi. Now, on that off-ramp, I don't have ESP kick off until I'm doing 45-50--and it definitely should be coming on at that speed on that turn. Please draw your own conclusions, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

my esp kicks in on exit ramps to and im still stock (for now) i've tried oging into them slower but if they are long ramps it still kicks in im wondering if it kicks in with body lean or tire traction maby both anybody know
Old 06-28-2008, 07:39 PM
JK Newbie

Mine is a real PITA. This thing goes off so much that it is driving me nuts. When I first did the lift and tires it came on often. The after a few weeks it would only come on once in a while. Almost like it learned the way I drive. While at the dealership for another reason I stated that I felt the ESP was coming on a little too often. They stated there was a software update for the ESP & updated it for free. That was a mistake. The ESP started coming on again with more frequency. Then I really made a big mistake and installed FT adjustable track bars in both the front and rear. That spun my steering wheel 45 degrees to the right. After getting both axles centered I then adjusted the steering to dead center. Since then my ESP is in WTF mode. It comes on for the littlest thing. I have made numerous calls to the service manager complaining about the frequency of the ESP coming on. After about two weeks on my constant calls she just advised me this past Friday that there is yet another update in the ESP software. The software version has just gone from 8.4 to 8.5 but they do not have the software yet. She advised me that as soon as the update is available she will have me bring the vehicle in and perform the update for free. The only TSB I have seen for ESP problems is for the 07 vehicles and not the 08s. When I advised her of that she stated that she would check into it as see if that was the case. In the mean time this thing is on my nerves, big time.

Quick Reply: 33's and ESP Issues