Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33's on auto 2013 JKUR with 4.10 gears - is ProCal necessary?

Old 12-31-2012, 11:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33's on auto 2013 JKUR with 4.10 gears - is ProCal necessary?

Hey fellow JKers,

I just had a question - hopefully someone has dealt with this one already. I'm ordering a 2013 JKU Rubicon to replace my current 2012 with engine/manual trans issues and I'm looking at ordering the auto instead of manual this time. If I do this, I plan to go for the optional 4.10 gears (2013 auto rubicons come with 3.73 standard, have to pay for the upgrade to 4.10).

I'm wondering... if I upgrade to a 33 inch tire... will a ProCal be necessary to switch the shift points? Being the 4.10 gears run at a higher RPM on these 2013 auto rubicons, I'm wondering if bumping up from the stock 32 inch tire to a 33 inch tire will really require the shift point change or if it will still shift at the appropriate RPM. I'm not too concerned with the speedometer being off a few MPH... just want to make sure it will still shift appropriately.

Thanks for any help you can offer. Happy new year!
Old 01-01-2013, 12:20 AM
JK Junkie

I have a Rubi with the 4.10 gearing & 5 speed auto trans. I didn't want to leave it to chance, I went ahead and got the Procal for that reason as well as the option to turn off the TPMS since I am running aftermarket wheels w/out installing the sensors.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the 2013 jkur, and upgraded to 34" wheels. I've got the 3.73 still, and I see no reason to change anything.

It's all about preference, and up to you. I spend a lot of time on the freeway, and no problems what so ever.
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by aldaman
I have a Rubi with the 4.10 gearing & 5 speed auto trans. I didn't want to leave it to chance, I went ahead and got the Procal for that reason as well as the option to turn off the TPMS since I am running aftermarket wheels w/out installing the sensors.

Right on - did you try to run it at all without the procal updating the shift points? Just curious how it would shift without changing them. Awesome looking Jeep btw - do those tires handle well on the highway?
Old 01-01-2013, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoRemote
I've got the 2013 jkur, and upgraded to 34" wheels. I've got the 3.73 still, and I see no reason to change anything.

It's all about preference, and up to you. I spend a lot of time on the freeway, and no problems what so ever.
Thanks for the reply! Do you find that it shifts differently/worse than stock?

Quick Reply: 33's on auto 2013 JKUR with 4.10 gears - is ProCal necessary?