Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33's or 35's on stock suspension

Old 11-19-2010, 01:37 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33's or 35's on stock suspension

Just ordered a set of Pro-Comp 7069's 16 x 8's from Quadtratec.

Pretty excited. I'm going to be putting on Duratracs. Either the 285/75's or the 315/75's

The 315's are going to be pretty big for my stock suspension.
I asked some questions about it here
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...ift-on-Rubicon

I wanna do 35's on my stock suspension.
I can trim my rock rail and bash in the pinch seam pretty easily.
For the fender flares I'll be eventually trimming down the stockers rather than going with flat flares. The flat flares are pretty expensive.
For street duty in the snow will I be OK? I don't expect to be flexing the suspension much in the snow.

If I have to I'll stick with 33's though. As this still looks pretty good
http://img221.imageshack.us/img221/8973/28723321.jpg

Advice?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Honestly, I would invest in a 2-2.5" Budget boost from teraflex or another brand. You WILL rub with 35s on stock suspension, especially if you hit a bump. Sure the cut flares will help, but why risk it? Just my .02
Old 11-19-2010, 01:45 PM
JK Newbie

Forgot to mention, I'm OK with doing a 1" body lift if it helps alot. Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nickdandria
Honestly, I would invest in a 2-2.5" Budget boost from teraflex or another brand. You WILL rub with 35s on stock suspension, especially if you hit a bump. Sure the cut flares will help, but why risk it? Just my .02
That's the thing. What do you rub? Just the plastic of the flare? How does that hurt anything?

How about just removing the plastic flares all together?
Old 11-19-2010, 01:48 PM
JK Super Freak

if you plan to NEVER off-road ... you could probably get away with a TF Leveling kit and run 35's as long as your wheel offset is big enough ...
Old 11-19-2010, 01:55 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kytann

That's the thing. What do you rub? Just the plastic of the flare? How does that hurt anything?

How about just removing the plastic flares all together?
You'll rub the inner fender, it wont really mess anything up. However, you could pop out a fender. The stupid little clips they put on are just plastic and break fairly easy.

You can remove the fenders... But the look of it is another thing -__-
Old 11-19-2010, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default New wheels

Hey kytann,
you should have bought your wheels from bryan running the procomp wheel special advertised on jk forum. great prices and fast free shipping.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by DDloadedJK
Hey kytann,
you should have bought your wheels from bryan running the procomp wheel special advertised on jk forum. great prices and fast free shipping.
Uh where? Who's Bryan?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:44 PM
JK Newbie

you know i always wondered about this... i can see with a tru spring lift of a couple
of inches you gain more travel. but your tire ends up in the same spot as a stock suspension at the end of travel. so you put in extra height bumpstops to limit the travel. in the end you just end up raising your center of gravity with stock travel. is it not better to keep your center of gravity low and have lots of droop? in that case 35's with stock suspension would work very well if you have no rubbing (fender issue) offroad?
Old 11-19-2010, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ottoride
you know i always wondered about this... i can see with a tru spring lift of a couple
of inches you gain more travel. but your tire ends up in the same spot as a stock suspension at the end of travel. so you put in extra height bumpstops to limit the travel. in the end you just end up raising your center of gravity with stock travel. is it not better to keep your center of gravity low and have lots of droop? in that case 35's with stock suspension would work very well if you have no rubbing (fender issue) offroad?
Exactly, I like to keep the Center of gravity low, as there are some very tippety places I visit.

I had oversize wheels on my old Tacoma at stock height. Had to hammer flat the body pinch seem, and occasionally the tire would rub the inner plastic fender well.
When 4x4ing I would stuff one tire in, it would lift the opposite tire off of the ground, and I'd be going nowhere. So I put in a locker in the front axle. Now it doesn't matter if I stuff a front and lift one side, I still get forward motion. Approximately 70k miles on that configuration and no problems with the Tacoma.

With the Rubicon, I've already got lockers front and rear.

If however there are some rubbing in places that could slice the tire, that's a problem, and I'll have to either lift or go with 33's.
If it occasionally makes a small noise against plastic, I'm not worried about that at all.

Quick Reply: 33's or 35's on stock suspension