Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33s to 35s questions.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33s to 35s questions.

On my Jeep now I have 20x9 Ultra Thunders with 305/55-20 Trail Grapplers (33.2 inches tall). This combo weighs in at 120lbs give or take a couple of lbs. If I go to a 35x12.50x17 Trail Grappler (34.8 inches tall) with a 17x9 wheel I'm looking at 104lbs per wheel/tire give or take a couple of lbs.

My question is saving that 15 or so lbs per wheel and tire am I really gonna notice the extra inch and a half of height as far as driving and wheeling is concerned? Its an auto and I'm running stock 3.73 gears now. You'd think it would be a total dog now but it's really not that bad for whatever reason. I've had friends with regeared jeeps drive mine and they're amazed that it performs as well as it does. I know for a fact they are the factory 3.73s because we have checked it.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:25 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

a lot of people who complain about power loss with 35's are also ones that failed to recalibrate their speedo. this is important as it controls your shift points and it will make a difference. now, this is not to say that you won't see powerloss as you will but, i have run this setup and it really isn't too bad especially if you run a superchips with it. btw - tire size makes more of a difference than weight.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's more along the lines of what I was thinking. I know the height makes more of a difference than weight but I was curious as to others opinions on the weight savings vs height because I've had some with it on other vehicles and in some cases it's noticeable more than others.

Quick Reply: 33s to 35s questions.