Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33's or 35's...can't decide

Old 10-18-2010, 03:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have 33 duratracs and 1 inch body lift and love it. no regrets
Old 10-18-2010, 03:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the 35's. I went with 33's and about 2 months later I was kicking myself for not lifting it and going to 35's.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:33 PM
JK Newbie

Ok, I've been reading for hours and looked through the drivetrain FAQs. The problem is I have to read through 20 posts just to get wee bits of info. Here's what I've gathered:

-I need to regear to 5.13 at a minimum
-I need to do both axles since I have 4 wheel drive
-I might have problems with the regear due to a varying degree of talent among mechanics
-A regear runs around $1500...but is worth it

Here are some additional questions:
-With an auto tranny, would 5.38 be more beneficial? (I drive mostly on pavement)
-Does that $1500 include BOTH axles or just the rear?
-Does anyone know of a reputable shop in the Florida Panhandle?

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Jim
Ok, I've been reading for hours and looked through the drivetrain FAQs. The problem is I have to read through 20 posts just to get wee bits of info. Here's what I've gathered:

Here are some additional questions:
-With an auto tranny, would 5.38 be more beneficial? (I drive mostly on pavement)
-Does that $1500 include BOTH axles or just the rear?
-Does anyone know of a reputable shop in the Florida Panhandle?
You have a X, with a D30 up front, right? 5.13 is the lowest you can go (unless you swap in a D44)
The cost depends on where you are. Anywhere from $650 to $1800, parts/labor/out the door. Don't just go for the lowest price, check around, get references. Talk to local 4wheelers to see where they went, post in the Staging Area for your neck of the woods. etc. Also find out exactly what parts they are using. Which brands, and whether they are using an overhaul kit with new bearings, or just an install kit.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:47 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by aldaman
You should go w/35s and eventually budget to regear to 5.13s especially with an automatic. In the beginning I was running 33s with only a 1" body lift. I didnt regear still had the 3.73s with a superchips and OD turned off. It was bearable, but i wasnt too happy. Eventually I added a 2.5" TF coil lift w/shocks, regeared to 5.13s and am now running 35s good year MT/R kevlars. Really happy with the lift, tires and regear..

Below are some comparison pictures...

1" bodylift with 33s

1" body lift + 2.5" coil lift w/33s

1" body lift + 2.5" coil lift w/35s

bad ass ride...good clean bad ass look....
Old 10-18-2010, 06:03 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You have a X, with a D30 up front, right? 5.13 is the lowest you can go (unless you swap in a D44)
The cost depends on where you are. Anywhere from $650 to $1800, parts/labor/out the door. Don't just go for the lowest price, check around, get references. Talk to local 4wheelers to see where they went, post in the Staging Area for your neck of the woods. etc. Also find out exactly what parts they are using. Which brands, and whether they are using an overhaul kit with new bearings, or just an install kit.
Thanks, nthinuf.

Yes, I have the D30 up front, D44 in back. I guess I'll stick with 5.13 because I'm already cringing at the potential cost of all this.

When you say "between $650 and $1800" is that per axle or both?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:11 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JK Jim
Thanks, nthinuf.

Yes, I have the D30 up front, D44 in back. I guess I'll stick with 5.13 because I'm already cringing at the potential cost of all this.

When you say "between $650 and $1800" is that per axle or both?
Both axles.

That $650 was a shop in Texas using Sierra Gears and Install kits, and was a pretty shoddy install. There are some quality shops doing it for around $1000 with overhaul kits, if you don't mind a drive. $1400ish is fairly normal. $1800 if you absolutely can't find anyplace else to go...
Old 10-18-2010, 06:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

You should be able to get both axles done for $1200-$1500. My vote is for the 35s as well. It will cost you less than getting the 33s and then deciding you really want 35s. For what it's worth, I drive an X, auto tranny with 4:10 gears and didn't notice that much of power loss going from rubi takeoffs (255s) to the 35s UNTIL going up into Colorado. Still, with overdrive off, it was doable. Someday, I'll regear to 5.13 but until I get the cash I'm still happy I got the 35s.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Both axles.

That $650 was a shop in Texas using Sierra Gears and Install kits, and was a pretty shoddy install. There are some quality shops doing it for around $1000 with overhaul kits, if you don't mind a drive. $1400ish is fairly normal. $1800 if you absolutely can't find anyplace else to go...

That's a relief. Thanks for the speedy reply!
Old 10-18-2010, 09:20 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by roadking54
I've been rolling around on 315/70/R17 GY Duratracs, auto, and stock 3.73 gears for 5 months now and I love it. It's my DD. Superchip is mandatory for this set up in my opinion and I have O/D off majority of the time.

I have more get up and go and my JK drives better with the 35's and Superchip then it did stock with no Superchip. (only issue is mtn passes....then you're hating life)

I would have been very disappointed if I had decided to go with 33's....I'm glad I went with 35's after contemplating it for almost a year.
Thanks man,,, BTW Nice setup. That is basically the look I'm going for as well.. All blacked out. What rims are those? I wanted something gloss black as opposed to flat. Also, thumbs up for the Harleys.. I contemplating a V-Rod Muscle after I get my jeep to an acceptable level...LOL I just had my system mod completed today.. back up cam, video in motion overide, A second ipod dock located in front of the shifter and had my Palm Pre dock hardwired... The best part is no more wires all over the place. I will post as soon as I take some pics.

Quick Reply: 33's or 35's...can't decide