Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33's or 35's...can't decide

Old 10-18-2010, 11:26 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ByronG
I really want to go 35"s as well. However, I won't be able to re-gear right away. (budget) Will I be able to live without the re-gear for a couple months? Unfortunately, I do alot of city driving (short trips) so my mileage is about 14mpg now. Is the power loss THAT siginificant? I'm not that hard on the pedal anyways. I really want to upgrade the stock wheels and don't want to wait 6 months to do wheels and re-gear at the same time. I would like to really hear from those running 35's without re-gearing. I know I will eventually do it, but can it wait? My alternative is to do the city-slicker look for now, which I am trying to avoid.
I've been rolling around on 315/70/R17 GY Duratracs, auto, and stock 3.73 gears for 5 months now and I love it. It's my DD. Superchip is mandatory for this set up in my opinion and I have O/D off majority of the time.

I have more get up and go and my JK drives better with the 35's and Superchip then it did stock with no Superchip. (only issue is mtn passes....then you're hating life)

I would have been very disappointed if I had decided to go with 33's....I'm glad I went with 35's after contemplating it for almost a year.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

roadking....what are you doing in the mtns? Are you having to manually drop into 3rd?
Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Take the positive comments concerning bigger tires on stock gears for what they are. - Someone who has no basis for comparison, and simply does not know how big of a difference it makes. (or they are just trying to make themselves feel better for not spending the money...)

There are literally thousands of gearing threads on this site. Read enough of them, and you'll find that gearing is the single biggest performance gain you can make. Ripp even suggests gearing before buying their s/c. Read the posts from all of the people that have held off on gears, finally changed them, and come back saying they wished they had done it sooner! The only negative comments you will find are that people wished they had gone lower than they did.
Old 10-18-2010, 01:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Tire sizes are always smaller than advertised. Do yourself a favor and get 35's from the get go.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:24 PM
JK Freak

35s FTW!!!!!
Old 10-18-2010, 02:52 PM
JK Freak

Iv got 33s and they are fine for me. I'm not out to do crazy obstacles. I just like moderate trail riding
Old 10-18-2010, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by sully151
35's... Decision made.

Truth is, 33's aren't that much bigger than the tires you are running.

I would do a tereflex 2.5" coil lift and maybe cut you fenders and call it good.
I would agree... look at my sig for specs.. this is how I am rollin...
Old 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Haha....man, I haven't even been on this forum 6 months and this is like the Umpteenth thread debating 33's or 35's. Search a little, and read the majority of opinions you've received....if you are already considering it, just do it and avoid the buyers remorse and wasted money later. You'll survive just fine on stock gearing until you can upgrade in the future, if you even feel you need it depending on how you use your Jeep. I'm running mine on my stock gearing (4.10's mind you) and it is more than enough gear for the tires. Do I have to down shift to go up a big hill, yes, or with a huge headwind, sure, but it cruises at a good rpm, and has plenty of power offroad, especially in 4-lo.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:15 PM
JK Junkie

You should go w/35s and eventually budget to regear to 5.13s especially with an automatic. In the beginning I was running 33s with only a 1" body lift. I didnt regear still had the 3.73s with a superchips and OD turned off. It was bearable, but i wasnt too happy. Eventually I added a 2.5" TF coil lift w/shocks, regeared to 5.13s and am now running 35s good year MT/R kevlars. Really happy with the lift, tires and regear..

Below are some comparison pictures...

1" bodylift with 33s

1" body lift + 2.5" coil lift w/33s

1" body lift + 2.5" coil lift w/35s

Old 10-18-2010, 03:17 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ByronG
I really want to go 35"s as well. However, I won't be able to re-gear right away. (budget) Will I be able to live without the re-gear for a couple months? Unfortunately, I do alot of city driving (short trips) so my mileage is about 14mpg now. Is the power loss THAT siginificant? I'm not that hard on the pedal anyways. I really want to upgrade the stock wheels and don't want to wait 6 months to do wheels and re-gear at the same time. I would like to really hear from those running 35's without re-gearing. I know I will eventually do it, but can it wait? My alternative is to do the city-slicker look for now, which I am trying to avoid.
i am currently running 35's with no regear. it definitely is more sluggish, and my speedometer is about 5-10 mph slower than what i'm actually going. i normally just leave O/D off and it's alright. if you do get 35's you wont regret it. it's my DD also

Quick Reply: 33's or 35's...can't decide