Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33s or 35s or 37s? How did you decide?

Old 06-06-2008, 09:02 PM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well........the 3.5 miles of crappy gravel road I have to drive down everyday to get to my house made it a no brainer for me. The stock 29"ers just couldn't take it. So by going up another 4" to a good 33" Bridgestone "Revo"AT was just the right quality and looks for me. They drive like a dream, and the looks (along with new Eagle Alloys) were dramatic. It also is my dd, with a round trip to and from work of 45 miles, so I too also wanted some decent mpgs. I love to 4x, but beacuse of the dd factor, I don't want to break it either, so for some light 4 wheelin' the 33s are fine for me.
With gas prices like they are, I'm sure I'll have some kind of rice burner for a dd before too long. Maybe then the 33's will be worn out and I'll go for really beefin' up the rubber as well as lifts and who knows what else. It all depends on how the almighty dollar factor is after Obamma wants to tax it all away.....ha!!!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 09:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaharaBlackNo1
What I want to know is if there's a dramatic visual difference between having 33s and having 37s on an Unlimited. It's hard to believe that 4 extra inches will make a huge difference, but I'm looking forward to finding out.

There is a HUGE visual diffrence. After I put my RE 3.5 SF lift on my JK (Unlimited Rubi) I drove it with the stock tires, 32", because I thought it would be easier to pick up on any problems when dealing with only one change as opposed to both lift and wheels and tires. Even though the difference was only 2 5/8's more tire whene I put the 35's on the visualdifference was huge. it transformed the Jeep.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:24 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went 33" A/T and wish I went 37" M/T this is my first A/T and prolly my last.
Old 06-07-2008, 02:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by chuck45
There is a HUGE visual diffrence. After I put my RE 3.5 SF lift on my JK (Unlimited Rubi) I drove it with the stock tires, 32", because I thought it would be easier to pick up on any problems when dealing with only one change as opposed to both lift and wheels and tires. Even though the difference was only 2 5/8's more tire whene I put the 35's on the visualdifference was huge. it transformed the Jeep.
Thanks. My Jeep goes in just over a week for a laundry list of things, and at the top of the list is 4.5" of lift and 37s. I'm finding it hard to wait that week, because I'm so excited about seeing the change in looks all the way around. I feel like a kid counting the days until Xmas. lol

Quite a few people have commented on driving with stock gears on 37s and that's what I'll be doing for the first few weeks, as the 5.13s I ordered are on back order for a few more weeks. So I'll report in on whether a regear right away is a must or not. Hopefully, by the time the gears come in my rear bumper will be in and I'll only have to make 2 trips to the shop for work. Hopefully a 33" spare won't look quite as silly as a stock spare in the few weeks until the bumper arrives.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:39 AM
JK Newbie

I just ordered my Dunlop Mud Rovers today. 35x12.5r17 with MB 72's.

Walking into the showroom, I was ready to go cheap with crager soft 8's and some cheap interco's..... I saw the MB and fell in love with the way it looked..

Honestly, the dealer had one Rover in a 35, just one tire. I had him roll it out, and i laid it next to my jeep in front of my rear tire.....

....as you can see, I was impressed, and I knew this was my tire so I ordered a set of 5.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0797.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	10073  
Old 06-15-2008, 02:53 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

33s. Needed better tires for wheeling. Gas mileage. Protection of the drive train (especially that front axle on an X). Looks. Let's face it, the JK looks really awesome with even a modest lift and change in tire size:

245s from S pkg on stock 16" wheels, no lift:

33s on Procomp 7089s with RC 2.5" lift:

Old 06-15-2008, 03:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

33 = practicality
35 = practicality with a dash of vanity
37 = masturbation ( they do look great)
Old 06-15-2008, 05:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Even the 33's look so much better than the stock skinnies. Sounds like 35's are a nice compromise for not completely breakin the bank. Besides a lift kit, are there any other mods you have to do for 35s? Do you have to start lookin at replacement driveshafts or anything else for 35s? I'm assuming once you go 37, you do have to start putting additional parts into it which is where the big costs start kickin in?
Old 06-15-2008, 05:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Terrain?

For me it was the terrain to consider. We have very little in the way of rock climbing here in WI. Trails and mud and creeks to cross. Plus it's my DD so I went with a 2.5" lift and 33s to get me there. I can always go to 35s when these wear out, but the 33s already dropped my gas mileage about 2 mpg and I have 4:10s....
Old 06-15-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The JK looks perfect on 35s!

I still have the stock 225/75/16's and there is a Jeep green hardtop (like mine) in my neighborhood with 35s and every time they drive by I start drooling.

I think we are going to go 33s though so we don't have to regear and its also our dd so to save just a little on gas over the 35s.

However if money wasn't a factor it would be 35s all the way.

Quick Reply: 33s or 35s or 37s? How did you decide?