Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33s or 35s or 37s? How did you decide?

Old 06-06-2008, 02:56 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I had Sahra 18's on and the tires where 32's
33's: Not worht the money to go up one inch
37's: Little too much work for the dana 30 and 4.10's
35's Just right
Old 06-06-2008, 05:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryno
I think it really depends on two factors... 1) How often you go off-roading and what kind of terrain you encounter, and 2) How thick your wallet is.

People run TJs with 33s on the Rubicon Trail and have little to no clearance problems. Once you start getting into the 35" and 37" sizes you would mainly be doing it for looks. However, if you're getting an Unlimited then you could justify larger tires in order to gain some breakover angle.

As far as looks go, I don't think you can go wrong with a good set of 35s. The JK was practically made for them. 35s will also be significantly cheaper to run than 37s.

But at the end of the day, it's your decision. Good luck!
Good answer
Old 06-06-2008, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AZ Bulldog
My wife told me when we bought the JK that I was to "Go Big" or don't bother, with the amount of wheeling I do and having an Unlimited 37's were a must for me. When I do the D60's I'll step up to 40's and that's where it'll stay.

Cool wife

To the thread poster, as stated over and over in this thread I agree it's more on "how" you plan on using your Jeep. I don't think ego plays a part in any of what we do unless your in high school maybe, it's more about what you like, a certain setup you have in mind and more importantly some knowledge as to what setup will provide the best wheeling for whatever your into, rocks, mud, bunny trails, highway, etc.

When someone upgrades to 35s and 37s it's NOT just for looks as posted in this thread. That's just not correct, at least for rock-crawling, a bigger tire on beadlocks like a 37 aired down to a 35 height or 34 has a more significant tire footprint for crawling, whereas a 33 would not be able to air down to the same pressure as that 37 and would not only lose clearance but not perform as well on the rocks due to a higher tire pressure, less footprint, etc. Nothing wrong with 32s or 33's but to state 35s and 37s, etc are just for looks isn't accurate by no means.

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 06-06-2008 at 06:11 AM.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:21 AM
JK Newbie

Thank you for all of the great advise and insight. I was really leaning towards the 33s but now I am thinking, "Why bother?" Additionally, the 37's are a lot of $$$ and I don't know that I want a 2 door that high in the air. Looks like 35's on on the list for me. Finally, I see rough Country just came out with a $575 lift kit designed specifically to run 35's.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:50 AM
JK Freak

A lot of people tell you to "why bother" with 33's.

I'll tell you this... it does improve the look of the Jeep significantly! It's more along the lines of a wider stance of the tire over stock and backspacing of your new wheels. It will push the tires out past the fender, making it look more stout. It compliments a 2.5" BB perfect and makes the Jeep look proportional while not making it too "in your face"...but if "in your face" is what you are going for then go 35's.

I don't as much as most of these guys do...just starting out...but with this setup it is still capable to take on most trails.

Keeps it DD friendly....gas mileage does suffer but not too much... higher the lift the more wind resistance...we are already a brick...bigger tires...and tread affect as well.....less unsprung weight... 35's are signficantly heavier.

Which means regearing....
Old 06-06-2008, 08:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryno
I think the difference is pretty significant.

Here's a JK on 37s parked in front of a stocker (photo courtesy of Camp Crocker):

The big one looks like it could eat the little one for lunch! How inadequate would you feel if you rolled up next to that monster at a stoplight?
If this isn't a reason to go with a lift I don't know what is.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by KJRubiconWannaBe
Yeah, but that stocker looks like it's the bottom of the barrel, no options, X with 225/75-16 tires. What're those... like 29's?
If I bought the ones with 29's I wouldnt even drive it off the lot... I would go buy wheels and tires and mount them at the dealership.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by idrivejeep
If this isn't a reason to go with a lift I don't know what is.
yeah that's just sick....that pic never ceases to amaze me.
Old 06-06-2008, 10:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm staying with the 33's for the DD reason, plus at 10,000 feet I think 35's are too much for the 4:10's and I still want a bit of a challenge on the trails. With a 2" (+) OME and 33's, the JK is already a trail monster. I find I'm walking in places a lot of others aren't. Hell with 37's the only thing you would have to stop for would be the gas station.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:24 PM
JK Newbie

The decision was simple for the wife to make, I run 33's on my ZR2 so she knew she would have to go 35's to be bigger than my blazer.

Quick Reply: 33s or 35s or 37s? How did you decide?