Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33k miles spider gears shot

Old 06-22-2013, 02:26 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On my 2010 they were chipped at 49K miles I had the dealer rebuild the rear 44 under the 100K warranty.

Sent from my i5 using Tapatalk
Old 06-23-2013, 08:44 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKred
Nothing to be sorry for! We all have our styles, as long as you love the jeep.

Now, that does make it a bit strange that the spider gears would go. Spider gears fail due to high cross torque, usually when an open diff loses traction then suddenly regains it. I would ask whoever told you they were shot for detailed pictures.

This is what mine looked like:
Love my Jeep!!

It's at the dealer, still under warranty, I only have 33K miles and have had it 3 years. Would they have any reason
to screw with me? The sound was horrible so I know there was definitely something wrong with it. It got really bad the past month.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by madmike232
With all cars trucks and jeeps there are break in periods . After buying a new Jeep I normaly change all the fluid in everything after 1 k miles . This includes trans fluid , diff fluids , aint freeze ,oil, transfer case fluid the works. When your new parts are breaking in small shavings of metal can contamante the fluids. After the break in fluid every 5-10k miles I change everything . Some people say that is to much and give me a hard time but I have a 2009 4 door with 136k miles lifted and 34's and its never been to the shop I am pretty sure I have the highest mileage on the form and the least has happens to me lol ,and I still beat it up off road about every other week .
I'm going to learn how to work on my Jeep too
My husband says he does enough, he's not working on the Jeep too
Old 06-02-2020, 08:22 PM
JK Newbie

Searching for info on this issue so resurrecting this thread as I’m dealing with the same issue. I’ve got a 2014 JKU sport with Trac-lok. Living in LA, so definitely some heavy city driving. I’ve off-roaded it a few times, but not much as it’s my DD? Oh, and no lift, with only 295 or 285s

I brought it in a little under 2yrs ago at 34k because of knocking/chatter noises, and they confirmed it was the spider gears that were chipped. They ended up replacing the entire carrier under warranty. Now, at 52k, I’m hearing issues again, and when I went to have a look and change the fluid, my fears were confirmed when I pulled the cover and saw the gears chipped and chunks in the fluid.

Thankfully, they are gonna fix it again, on them, even though I’m outside of the powertrain warranty. (I thought it would be covered under just the mopar warranty which states 24mo/unlimited miles regardless of under factory warranty or not, But they are fixing it so I wasn’t gonna press the issue).

What I want to know is, why? They couldn’t give me an answer. My friends who live nearby haven’t had issues with their Jeeps. Is it my driving habits? What could be causing such damage so quickly? I haven’t even gone off-roading since it was last repaired. Any advice or insight is much appreciated. Don’t wanna deal with this a 3rd time.

Quick Reply: 33k miles spider gears shot