Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33k miles spider gears shot

Old 06-21-2013, 05:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33k miles spider gears shot

Hi, my 2010 wrangler Sahara has been been making a banging noise from a dead stop when I accelerate
Took it in last month to the dealer, they couldn't hear it. It got worse and I took it back in today and they said the spider gears are shot. Is this something that should happen after only 33k ?
Old 06-21-2013, 06:06 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

should not happen, but what is your set up gearing tire size etc
Old 06-21-2013, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 136k miles with 315/70/17s and stock spider gears ! Sorry for you luck! Did you change the diff fluid after the "breakin" period ? I normaly change mine every 5 to 10 thoused miles depending on if I do water crossings.
Old 06-21-2013, 07:28 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

Mad mike-I didn't know I had to change it after
10k. Guess I better figure out how to
do that
Old 06-22-2013, 01:19 AM
JK Newbie

100 000 km on mine before they grenaded! Same size rubber

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-813564826.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	470521
Old 06-22-2013, 05:11 AM
JK Super Freak

When was the last time you wheeled? Have you wheeled?

Spider gears are the weakest part of the D30. They can break fairly easily with 35's in axle bind. On only street use they should not break.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:19 AM
JK Newbie

The dealer acted like I should be grateful it's under warranty...wtf?
I don't beat on it, I can't believe @ 33K miles this happened...wondering if this is just the beginning........
They also wanted $750 for the 30K check up last month for the differentials.. I laughed at the guy.
I think I'm going to learn how to work
on my own Jeep.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:23 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JKred
When was the last time you wheeled? Have you wheeled?

Spider gears are the weakest part of the D30. They can break fairly easily with 35's in axle bind. On only street use they should not break.
Haha...maybe I shouldn't be on this site...I'm just a mom with kids who loves her Jeep. I don't take it out..... Sorry
I will.....one day

Although, we take it on road trips all the time, we are heading across country in August for a month, actually we will be @ Lake Tahoe but my stepson says my Jeep is not capable of being on the Rubicon Trail
Old 06-22-2013, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by slobberdog68
Mad mike-I didn't know I had to change it after
10k. Guess I better figure out how to
do that
With all cars trucks and jeeps there are break in periods . After buying a new Jeep I normaly change all the fluid in everything after 1 k miles . This includes trans fluid , diff fluids , aint freeze ,oil, transfer case fluid the works. When your new parts are breaking in small shavings of metal can contamante the fluids. After the break in fluid every 5-10k miles I change everything . Some people say that is to much and give me a hard time but I have a 2009 4 door with 136k miles lifted and 34's and its never been to the shop I am pretty sure I have the highest mileage on the form and the least has happens to me lol ,and I still beat it up off road about every other week .
Old 06-22-2013, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by slobberdog68
Haha...maybe I shouldn't be on this site...I'm just a mom with kids who loves her Jeep. I don't take it out..... Sorry
I will.....one day

Although, we take it on road trips all the time, we are heading across country in August for a month, actually we will be @ Lake Tahoe but my stepson says my Jeep is not capable of being on the Rubicon Trail
Nothing to be sorry for! We all have our styles, as long as you love the jeep.

Now, that does make it a bit strange that the spider gears would go. Spider gears fail due to high cross torque, usually when an open diff loses traction then suddenly regains it. I would ask whoever told you they were shot for detailed pictures.

This is what mine looked like:

Quick Reply: 33k miles spider gears shot