Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

33 vs. 35 and Appropriate Modifications

Old 04-05-2011, 09:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 33 vs. 35 and Appropriate Modifications

OK guys and gals this has most probably been discussed to hell and back and possibly I'm a search retard but here it goes.

I am at that point that most jeepers get to. I'm looking to upgrade my current Rubi take off tires for something larger within the next six to eight months (as that is when they will most likely be worn out). I want to start saving up the cash now as this will entail more than just the cost of the tires. Below are a list of things that I think I will possibly need to do the upgrade. Let me know if I missed anything or if something that I list is not necessary.

33 inch tires:
1. Tires
2. Rims (16 or 17) but not steel as I have a dana 30 and want to watch the weight
3. 4.56 gear set installed
4. Can use factory tire carrier for spare
5. Sleeve and Gusset Dana 30 (optional)
6. OK with my Teraflex Leveling Kit and Rubi Springs (about 2.5 inches lift)

35 inch tires:
1. Tires
2. Rims (same as above)
3. 4.88 gear set installed
4. Need to buy aftermarket tire carrier
5. Sleeve and Gusset Dana 30 (almost mandatory)
6. OK with my Teraflex Leveling Kit and Rubi Springs (about 2.5 inches lift) - Until I replace the factory bumper and install a winch, then upgrade to Teraflex 2.5 coil lift.

So there you have my list. Did I miss anything?
Old 04-05-2011, 09:53 PM
JK Jedi

Superchips or something similar to fix speedo and account for tire/gear change.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

with 33's you won't need to regear
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JayKay69
with 33's you won't need to regear
I think I could do OK w/o a regear but I have 3.21 gears now and my 6th gear is unusable with my rubi take off tires now. Probably be even worse with the 33s. Also I think I'm going to replace my aussie locker in the front with a truetrac so might as well regear when the shop is in there.

Should have mentioned my gear set in the post. Sorry about that.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mskh20
Superchips or something similar to fix speedo and account for tire/gear change.
Good call on the tuner, gotta budget that in, maybe just the AEV one since I have a 6 speed and don't have to worry about shift points. Either way gonna eventually need to correct the speedo.
Old 04-05-2011, 11:35 PM
JK Newbie

It looks like you have done your research. You nailed everything. Sometimes the Steelys are lighter than the Aluminum ones though. I wouldn't totally disregard them. You didn't mention Backspacing either on the wheels. Make sure you get about 4.5 in of Backspace so you don't rub 35s.

I am only mentioning this as an option vs lifting.
You do not "Need" a lift to run 35s. My lift is coming in a few months but I went with Poison Spyder Crusher Flares. Some owners merely chop off the sides of there stock flares or just run the Bestop or AEV plastic flatties.

I have a Rubicon so the Axle stuff wasn't on the top of my list but I suggest the Sleeve an Gusset anyways regardless of tire size. I will eventually upgrade mine. Or I may just break 'em so I have an excuse to tell the wife why I need Chomolys

Happy Shopping
Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 270 Posts

I had 33s before moving to 35s--Dick Cepek FC IIs--and they were smaller than Rubi tires. I had light rubbing when wheeling hard with those tires and 4.5" BS wheels and a 2.5" BB. Rubbing went away after converting to a 2.5" coil lift. Also, your steering will be very light/squirrelly with a lift. You may want to add adjustable front lower control arms (to fix the caster) to your list. I'd call it optional: Try it without and see what you think.

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 04-06-2011 at 12:32 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:04 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You shouldn't worry too much about 6th gear anyways. I can use mine at 45mph, but choose not to. Most of my city driving is in 4th and highway is 5th/6th. I get about 17mpg with my 33s.

Just pop on some 33s and you're good to go. You already have a levelling kit/spring set up. just my opinion. If you disconnect hardcore, you MIGHT rub like MarkDoiron said.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm looking to upgrade my current Rubi
2. Rims (16 or 17) but not steel as I have a dana 30 and want to watch the weight
If you have a Rubi you have 44's front and rear.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mike-d

If you have a Rubi you have 44's front and rear.
He doesn't have a rubi. He is looking to upgrade from the rubi takeoff tires.

Quick Reply: 33 vs. 35 and Appropriate Modifications